Via Pexels

Stu­dents rave about the extensive salad bar and queue up excitedly for gua­camole on “Taco Tuesdays.” A sprin­kling of feta and blue cheese improves foam-tex­tured spinach. Stu­dents endure long lines for falafel wraps.

Food in the cafe­teria lately has been diverse and deli­cious, but Bon Appetit seems to forget an obvious food for Hillsdale’s unique aca­demic and social atmos­phere: Greek yogurt. Bon Appetit should offer Greek yogurt because it would enhance the expe­rience of the Hillsdale student body.

Hillsdale instills appre­ci­ation for the ancient origins of Western thought and culture. In his Western Her­itage class, pro­fessor of history Bradley Birzer recounts the bravery of the Spartans in the battle of Ther­mopylae with tears in his eyes. In American Her­itage, our pro­fessors tell us America’s founding fathers were fluent in Greek by the age our first zits appeared. (Oh, by the way, Greek yogurt sup­posedly helps with that. It’s the pro­bi­otics.)

Junior Emily Barnum, a classics major, empha­sized Greek yogurt as an important symbol of the value of classics.

“We should def­i­nitely have quality Greek yogurt — not just Greek yogurt — but quality Greek yogurt,” Barnum said. “Here at Hillsdale and in the classics department we don’t just value dab­bling in the ancient works, but really under­standing at a deep and legit­imate level the ancient lan­guages. I think offering quality Greek yogurt in the cafe­teria will help fuel our minds and our hearts and our souls to better receive our her­itage and flourish in this envi­ronment.”

To bring an edible expe­rience to this rig­orous study, classics stu­dents should be able to fuel trans­lation ses­sions with a cup of Greek yogurt.

Greek yogurt, while encour­aging study of the past, also strengthens rela­tion­ships on campus. Hillsdale’s Greek system unifies stu­dents from diverse back­grounds, chal­lenging members to strive for excel­lence. It stands apart from the systems of other col­leges with pos­itive culture and goodwill between houses. Freshman Reagan Cool, a member of Chi Omega Fra­ternity, said she believes the Greek system needs the cafe­teria to support this special aspect of campus life and their efforts toward good char­acter.   

“Our Greek system is one of the strongest aspects of our social atmos­phere at Hillsdale and I’m very proud to be a part of the system that my mom was a part of several years ago,” Cool said. “In order to sustain the Greek system for its values and not for any flaws — because we do all have human flaws — I think it’s important that we have support from the admin­is­tration, even in the details of our cafe­teria.”

To reach full potential, Greek members should feel encouraged by staff and stu­dents alike in their choice of college expe­rience, from the classroom to the cafe­teria, reminding them of their Greek roots.

Hillsdale wel­comes stu­dents from around the world, excited to share the unique edu­cation with young men and women across con­ti­nents. But Hillsdale, Michigan — iso­lated, cold, and small — can be a bleak change of scenery to the warm and beau­tiful envi­ron­ments these stu­dents leave. For juniors Steve and Christos Gian­nakopoulos, members of the bas­ketball team, Hillsdale doesn’t compare to their hometown of Athens, Greece. But Greek yogurt is a taste of home.

“I would say that Greek yogurt for me is a great way to start my day because I can combine it with granola, honey, or fruit,” Steve Gian­nakopoulos said. “At the same time, it is filling, healthy, and gives me energy for the day. That’s what I eat pretty much every morning when I am back home.”

The Gian­nakopoulos twins came all the way from Athens to make the bas­ketball team stronger. They deserve Greek yogurt. Set out with the desserts, there should be both plain and straw­berry yogurt, with honey, cereal and other fruits as topping choices. Just the way Steve eats it at home.

Ms. Timmis is a sophomore studying English and jour­nalism.