Senior Zack Schultz owns a coffee-growing business in Haiti. Zack Schultz | Courtesy

Two Hillsdale College students have partnered with the GOAL Program in an effort to pack and provide more than 20,000 meals for school children in Haiti.

After a January trip to the Caribbean island, senior Jessie Fox and junior Zack Schultz said they were inspired and moved by the need for food and resources in a country plagued by natural disaster and poverty.

“People just don’t really know about the need,” Schultz said. “This January, I went back to Haiti with Jessie, and we were so excited to come back with a way to get campus involved.”

Schultz and Fox said they want to maximize campus involvement and education for causes in Haiti by holding a campus-wide meal packing event and fundraiser on April 22 from 10 a.m. to noon. Schultz said they need to raise $6,000, enough money to supply a whole school with food for a year.

A spokeswoman from Numana, the group that organizes the meal packing and shipping to Haiti, said she is excited to see Hillsdale hold an event.

“On a good day, Haiti can only feed 55 percent of its population,” spokeswoman Morgan Bolander said. “With the recent Hurricane Matthew, that number has dramatically reduced. Thank you, Hillsdale, for stepping up and being a part of feeding the hungry.”

GOAL Program Director Alexis Garcia said she’s glad Schultz and Fox organized an event that incorporates the entire student body.

“It’s a great way for campus to get together,” Garcia said. “We’ve never had an event of this scale for a charity event. It’s going to be awesome.”

Schultz said it only costs 30 cents to provide a meal for a child, and he said he hopes students will make a small sacrifice for a big cause.

“We see a quarter and don’t think much of it,” Schultz said. “But that’s almost a meal for a kid. And that could be the only meal that kid can actually count on in Haiti.”