Stu­dents par­tic­ipate in the 2016 Cen­tral­hal­la­palooza. Facebook.

After a con­tentious debate, Hillsdale College’s Student Fed­er­ation voted 14 – 4 to allocate nearly $7,000 from its surplus fund for Cen­tra­hal­la­palooza at its April 6 meeting.

The $6,858.21 is cov­ering half the cost of food — the other half coming from the Student Activ­ities Board’s own fund — which SAB members said they hope will pur­chase more and better options.

“Time after time, when we survey stu­dents after each Cen­tral­hal­la­palooza, the most sur­veyed thing people wanted to see more of was quality of food and amount of food,” SAB Event Coor­di­nator senior Shelby Phillips said.

Last year, Student Fed gave SAB $6,214.99. The amount this year is coming from the federation’s surplus accu­mu­lated over several years, since the group has already spent its $10,000 dis­cre­tionary budget.

“This is seven tenths of the budget that we get per semester,” Student Fed Junior Rep. Brendan Noble said. “That’s a lot of money, and we’re running a deficit. And the surplus, at this rate, if we pass this, we’ll run out in three semesters, which will be before sopho­mores graduate.”

The Finance Com­mittee rec­om­mended that Student Fed give SAB only $6,214.99, the same amount of money it received last year.

“The com­mittee was unan­imous in its thought that the Student Fed should not allow Cen­tral­hal­la­palooza costs to con­tinue rising,” said sophomore Ross Hatley, Student Fed trea­surer and Finance Com­mittee chair.

Other fed­er­ation members, however, said Cen­tral­hal­la­palooza is important enough to the entire student body to justify taking from its surplus.

“This is the type of thing that actually infu­riates the student body,” Student Fed Junior Rep. John Gage said. “If your average student on campus was in here, they’d be like: ‘What the heck are they talking about, that they’re cutting money from Cen­tral­hal­la­palooza?’ Let’s be honest, if we’re here to rep­resent the student body, the student body wants as much money to go to CHP as pos­sible. That’s just true.”

Student Fed also unan­i­mously allo­cated $1,000 to Alithea, the Christian apolo­getics lecture series club, to bring Greg Koukl, Stand 2 Reason Min­istries founder and a Christian author, to campus on April 24 to discuss his new book. The money will pay Koukl’s hon­o­rarium, said sophomore Katarina Bradford, Alithea founder and pres­ident.

“I know it’s a really big amount, but I have some good news,” Bradford said. “Hope­fully we won’t need to request funds next year, because Alithea cur­rently is in contact with a potential per­manent donor.”

Cecil B. Day Foun­dation chairman Woody White, who sponsors Christian apolo­getics clubs at col­leges across the nation, has taken an interest in Alithea, Bradford said. His dona­tions could render future aid from Student Fed unnec­essary.