Two of Hillsdale College’s most talented drummers will be featured this Saturday in the Percussion Ensemble performance, Drums of Thunder, at 8 p.m. in the Howard music building.  Stacey Garrison-Jones directs the 12 students in the ensemble and two guest performers, junior Jacob Coonradt on guitar and sophomore Shadrach Strehle on bass. As indicated by the title of the performance this year’s concert will showcase the drumset played by junior Dean Sinclair and sophomore Gill West.

“We each have our strengths, but at the end of the day, we are both primarily rock drummers,” Sinclair said.

Sinclair and West will each perform solos in a compilation of the English rock band Led Zeppelin’s songs “Moby Dick” and “Kashmir.”
“We’re both writing our own story, stories that will be very different and very good. It’s not a competition, but at the end of the performance I think the audience will be able to say, ‘I like this one better,’” West said.

Dean Sinclair drums. | Courtesy

The percussion ensemble will play eight charts with a theme of rock ’n’ roll, featuring Sinclair and West throughout the concert.

“I do my best to think outside the box when I perform,” Sinclair said. “For example, what’s running through my head is, ‘Would another drummer do this?’ and if they would, I don’t want to do that thing. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn’t.”