Fred­erick Dou­glass during the 1860’s. Wiki­media Commons | Courtesy

With just under a month until the unveiling of the Fred­erick Dou­glass statue, the sculpture’s mold is ready.

The ded­i­cation cer­emony for the project that was announced in 2014 will take place in Kresge Plaza on May 12, Chief Staff Officer Mike Harner said.

Until then, the statue is being casted and will then travel from Cal­i­fornia, where award-winning sculptor Bruce Wolfe lives, to Michigan via truck, Wolfe said.

“The sculpture is in the foundry, and the waxes have been poured, and Bruce has adjusted them, before the bronze is poured,” Wolfe’s wife, Linda, said in an email.

The sculpture’s concept design depicts Dou­glass at the height of his oratory power, around 1863, when he first visited Hillsdale College.

The 7-foot-tall statue of Dou­glass will stand across Kresge Plaza from Pres­ident Abraham Lincoln, where groundskeepers have placed a cement circle in prepa­ration for the instal­lation.

Previous articleHillsdale professors, students disagree with GOP teacher quotas
Next articleCaffeinating and cramming
Breana Noble
Breana Noble is The Collegian's Editor-in-Chief. She is a born and raised Michigander and studies politics and journalism. This summer, Breana interned in New York City at TheStreet, a business and finance news website. She has previously worked for The Detroit News, The American Spectator, and Newsmax Media. She eventually hopes to pursue a career in investigative journalism. email: bnoble1@hillsdale.edu | twitter: @RightandNoble