Frederick Douglass during the 1860’s. Wikimedia Commons | Courtesy

With just under a month until the unveiling of the Frederick Douglass statue, the sculpture’s mold is ready.

The dedication ceremony for the project that was announced in 2014 will take place in Kresge Plaza on May 12, Chief Staff Officer Mike Harner said.

Until then, the statue is being casted and will then travel from California, where award-winning sculptor Bruce Wolfe lives, to Michigan via truck, Wolfe said.

“The sculpture is in the foundry, and the waxes have been poured, and Bruce has adjusted them, before the bronze is poured,” Wolfe’s wife, Linda, said in an email.

The sculpture’s concept design depicts Douglass at the height of his oratory power, around 1863, when he first visited Hillsdale College.

The 7-foot-tall statue of Douglass will stand across Kresge Plaza from President Abraham Lincoln, where groundskeepers have placed a cement circle in preparation for the installation.

Previous articleHillsdale professors, students disagree with GOP teacher quotas
Next articleCaffeinating and cramming
Breana Noble
Breana Noble is The Collegian's news editor. She is from Canton, Michigan, and studies politics and journalism. This summer, Noble interned for The Detroit News, working for its business section. She has also worked with Newsmax Media through the National Journalism Center in Washington, D.C., and her material has appeared on The College Fix, Red Alert Politics, and FoxNews.com. Noble hopes to pursue a career in investigative journalism after college. email: bnoble1@hillsdale.edu | twitter: @RightandNoble