The Hillsdale County Fair will host its first ever beer and wine fes­tival.
(Photo: Wiki­media)

It may be the first event of its kind in Hillsdale County, but the upcoming beer and wine fes­tival is slated to be the most popular around.

The event, titled “The Most Popular Beer and Wine Fes­tival on Earth,” will be held on May 6 at the Hillsdale County Fair­grounds in the Mer­chants building.

“We will be having about 150 craft beers and wines,” Hillsdale County Fair manager Mark Williams said. “There hasn’t been an event like this in the county before, to my knowledge. It should be a fun event.”

The fes­tival will serve as both a fundraiser for the fair and a chance to have some fun during the off-season, according to Williams.

Pre-sale tickets are available for $25 a person or $30 on the day of the fes­tival. They are limited, since the fair will only be selling 1,000 tickets. Tickets can be pur­chased at the fair office, Hillsdale Market House, or online. Each ticket includes ten samples of beer or wine. Addi­tional samples will be available for pur­chase.

While the list of beers and wines is still being finalized, Williams said he hopes to have at least a partial list on the fair’s website and Facebook page next week.

“We do have a winery called Fin­gertips and also Cherry Creek will be there,” he said. “We’re working on other local brewers and wine­makers to attend the event. There will be a com­bi­nation of regional and national craft beers, and local and national wines. We may have some inter­na­tional wines.”

Janet Smoyer, who runs the kitchen at Cherry Creek, said the winery gen­erally pro­vides a variety of wines at events like the fes­tival. Usually this includes one of their most popular wines, the Cran­berry Passion, which is described by their website as sweet and delightful.

“Typ­i­cally we bring Summer Breeze, a semi-sweet white,” Smoyer said. “Or a rosé, or Old School­house Red, which is a dry red. But people kind of equate us with the Cran­berry Passion.”

Vis­itors will be able to pur­chase more than alco­holic bev­erages. The fes­tival will have food trucks, mainly from local busi­nesses, and Biggby Coffee. The Donut Hut will also be open for the event and to the public.

In addition, a DJ will provide enter­tainment. Williams said there is a pos­si­bility that the event will host live enter­tainment as well.