Morgan Channels | Col­legian

Spring stirs the wan­derlust that has settled to the bottoms of our hiber­nating souls. The first rays of spring sun­light filter into our musty souls, and the urge to explore presses upon us.

Wrapped in flannels, Bon Iver anthems humming in head­phones, stu­dents take to the streets. Then, the wanderer’s heart sighs. “Where in this flat, brown, des­olate land, will my roaming soul be sat­isfied?” it laments. Adventure is found in the most unas­suming places. It only takes a willing heart to find them.    

Grab your Vans, grab your Penny board, and take a walk.

Morgan Channels | Col­legian

1. A con­crete cinder block covered in bright paint at the Field of Dreams on the edge of town, past Pizza and Bar­beque, should be the starting point of the journey.  Open fields and art in the bathroom: it is quaint, artistic. Calming.

Morgan Channels | Col­legian

2. Across from the Field of Dreams, a remnant of a Midwest ghost town shivers and shakes in the wind. The dated air con­di­tioning units, exposed plywood, and rusted metal sides make the whistling wind espe­cially haunting.

Morgan Channels | Col­legian

3. Let your wan­dering sneakers tread their way to the train tracks for true indus­trial inspi­ration. Obvi­ously, the best idea is to stand dra­mat­i­cally in the middle of the tracks and ponder the human exis­tence.

Morgan Channels | Col­legian

4. The train station and sur­rounding buildings offer the inquiring soul plenty of oppor­tunity for explo­ration. The archi­tecture of the station is intricate and time-worn. Dust from your scuffed steps stings your eyes, and the sun-baked bricks smell earthy.

Morgan Channels | Col­legian

5. Meander, restless heart, among the rocks in the rubble on the side of the tracks. Feel the smallness of your soul next to the large indus­trial animals, the silent engines – kings of the iron jungle.

Morgan Channels | Col­legian

6. Behind St. Anthony’s, traveler, at the corner of Cook and Ferris, there are more spaces for you to wander. A building that has a door on the third floor sparks all sort of deep thoughts. You turn the music up a little on your phone and snap an Instagram photo.

Morgan Channels | Col­legian

7. Ponder a caption.  This might take time, and that’s okay.

Morgan Channels | Col­legian

8. Use this quote from “North and South.”
I wish I could tell you how lonely I am. How cold and harsh it is here. Every­where there is con­flict and unkindness. I think God has for­saken this place. I believe I have seen hell and it’s white, it’s snow-white. – Eliz­abeth Gaskell

Morgan Channels | Col­legian

9. The shipping docks are only a street down. Kick the rocks that rest in the road as you trek along. A burnt red building with windows of broken glass. The Hillsdale water tower is in the dis­tance. Water is the source of life. Water is cool. Keep walking.

Morgan Channels | Col­legian

10. In his face there came to be a brooding peace that is seen most often in the faces of the very sor­rowful or the very wise. But still he wan­dered through the streets of the town, always silent and alone. ― Carson McCullers, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

Morgan Channels | Col­legian

11. But the cloud never comes in that quarter of the horizon from which we watch for it. ― Eliz­abeth Gaskell, North and South