When Matthew Broderick’s char­acter Ferris Bueller said, “Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in awhile you might miss it,” the last thing the audience thought of was college jour­nalism.

But for the senior staff members of The Hillsdale Col­legian, it’s a quote that shows the reality of our last year at Hillsdale.

In reporting each week, we’ve been blessed to start and con­tribute to campus con­ver­sation, and we’re thankful for the par­tic­i­pation and the support of the campus.
We reflected on the year’s biggest stories, so here’s a recap of a few of our favorites and proudest moments.

It’s The People: Engaging with stu­dents and the com­munity is important, but having the oppor­tunity to report on a story that put the two groups in con­ver­sation was priceless. To some it was just a sign, to others it was an ethos.

College Scorecard: Last year, The Col­legian dis­covered and reported the Department of Edu­cation incorrect labeled Hillsdale “a pri­marily cer­tificate degree-granting insti­tution” — and this year, the Department admitted it.

Con­vo­cation Speech: In our first edi­torial staff weekly this school year, we said we wanted to be a source of news and dis­cussion for the college and the com­munity. The speeches during Fall 2016 con­vo­cation showed that it was working. With Pres­ident Larry Arnn’s public com­ments on breaking news and election stories and Pro­fessor of History Tom Connor’s speech titled “It’s The People,” it was clear we were informing the public and encour­aging dis­cussion.

Election Night: Despite gra­tu­itous amounts of screams, cheap pizza, and coffee, the staff managed to com­plete an Election Night issue with Trump’s victory — beating many local and state papers.

Lockdown: Deci­sions aside, it was our honor and priv­ilege to be a source of reliable and accurate campus infor­mation in a time of con­fusion.

27 issues in one year: While it is always quality over quantity, the senior staff was glad to release the largest number of issues in one year to campus. Ranging from the first day of school, to a Christmas issue, and even one focusing on student’s expe­ri­ences in Israel, we were happy to high­light it all.

We’re thankful for the oppor­tunity to serve the college and the city, and we’re thankful you read our work and hold us accountable. We’re already looking forward to another year of reliable reporting and honest writing.