Junior captain Dugan Delp hits a shot in a match last season. (Photo: Anders Kiledal / Hillsdale Col­legian)

Hillsdale men’s tennis dropped two matches to two unde­feated teams on the road last weekend. 

The Charger’s fell to the Grand Valley Lakers 9 – 0 on Feb. 26. Hillsdale lost several close matches, but were ulti­mately crippled by freshman Milan Mirkovic’s injured finger. 

“Mirkovic attempted to play, but I had to pull him from doubles. Grand Valley is a stronger team than us, and it was a night game, which is irregular,” head coach Keith Turner said.

At No. 2 singles, Sophomore Justin Hyman lost a third-set tiebreaker 11 – 9, while junior captain Dugan Delp and Hyman were defeated 8 – 9 at No. 1 doubles. 

Sophomore Jerry Hewitt replaced Mirkovich at No. 6 singles, falling 6 – 1, 6 – 2. 

The Chargers also lost 9 – 0 to the Ferris State Bulldogs, who are ranked No. 1 in the Midwest and 20th in the nation. In addition, they fin­ished 3rd in the GLIAC last season.

“We played the two toughest teams on our schedule. We played com­pet­i­tively, but were down one of our best players,” said Delp. “Everyone below Milan had to move up the lineup.”

Delp and Hyman were barely beaten 9 – 7 at No. 1 doubles, and freshman Julien Clouette was defeated 5 – 7, 6 – 2, at No. 5 singles. 

“Ferris per­formed better than Grand Valley. We were com­pet­itive, but still a man down,” Turner said. 

Hillsdale, now 3 – 3, will face Mck­endree Uni­versity on March 3, and Uni­versity of Illinois Spring­field March 4. 

“Last weekend’s matches gave us good moti­vation for the teams we play this weekend,” Delp said.