Sophomore Justin Hyman hits a shot in a match last spring. (Photo: Anders Kiledal / Hillsdale Col­legian)

The Hillsdale College men’s tennis team toppled Michigan Tech 8 – 1 on Sat­urday evening, stretching its win streak to five matches — the longest in the program’s history. 

The Chargers dom­i­nated doubles matches and won five singles matches in straight sets to overcome the Huskies, who are 0 – 4 in con­ference play. 

Freshman Charlie Adams won at No. 2 singles 6 – 0, 6 – 0. Freshman Milan Mirkovic picked up a No. 3 singles win 6 – 2, 6 – 2, and paired up with freshman Julien Clouette — a No. 6 singles winner 6 – 2, 6 – 4 — for a No. 3 doubles win 8 – 6. 

Junior captain Dugan Delp won at No. 4 singles 6 – 2, 6 – 1, and teamed up with sophomore John Ciraci for a No. 2 doubles win 8 – 2. Ciraci was a No. 5 singles winner 6 – 0, 6 – 1. 

“We barely beat the Huskies 5 – 4 last year, so we are happy with an 8 – 1 score. Our doubles improvement is paying off,” head coach Keith Turner said. 

The Chargers swept Lake Superior State 9 – 0 on Sunday evening at home, improving their record to 9 – 6 on the season. 

Hillsdale dom­i­nated singles, winning every match in straight sets. Hyman won his first set 7 – 5, and took his second set 6 – 0 to win at No. 1 singles. 

Adams con­tinued his perfect week with a No. 2 singles win 6 – 3, 6 – 1, and paired with Hyman to win at No. 1 doubles 8 – 6.

Mirkovic shut out the Lakers No. 3 singles 6 – 0, 6 – 0 to defend his 11 – 0 singles record. Clouette was a No. 6 singles winner 6 – 0, 6 – 1, and the two picked up a No. 3 doubles win 8 – 2. 

Delp shut out No. 4 singles 6 – 0, 6 – 0, while Ciraci won at No. 5 singles 6 – 2, 6 – 0. Delp paired with Ciraci to win No. 2 doubles 8 – 2. 

Hillsdale has dom­i­nated doubles play in its last three matches.

“It’s incredible we beat the Lakers 9 – 0, con­sid­ering we lost to them last year 5 – 4. That’s a big change in our game, and we will con­tinue playing like this,” Mirkovic said. “We already have more con­ference wins than last year.”

Delp said Hillsdale was frus­trated by the match against the Lakers last season, and added that he is happy for Mirkovic.

“Milan spanked No. 3 singles 6 – 0, 6 – 0, while his opponent was com­plaining that there was nothing he could do, because Milan is ‘too good’ —  he really is, and he’s showing no signs of stopping,” Delp said. 

Recently, Hyman was named GLIAC Player of the Week, a first-time award for the second-year team. 

“As a team, we are getting better and gaining more recog­nition — this award and our record show how strong our team has become,” Turner said. 

Hillsdale will face Wayne State on Sat­urday, April 1 at home, with only five matches remaining this season.

“Our remaining matches will affect if we get into the GLIAC tour­nament, our seed in it, and our potential to be regionally ranked,” Delp said. “We have already played the two his­tor­i­cally-best teams, Ferris and Grand Valley. Wayne State and Northwood are probably the two next-best teams.”