Tennis enjoys longest winning streak in program history

Home Charger Tennis Tennis enjoys longest winning streak in program history
Sophomore Justin Hyman hits a shot in a match last spring. (Photo: Anders Kiledal / Hillsdale Collegian)

The Hillsdale College men’s tennis team toppled Michigan Tech 8-1 on Saturday evening, stretching its win streak to five matches — the longest in the program’s history. 

The Chargers dominated doubles matches and won five singles matches in straight sets to overcome the Huskies, who are 0-4 in conference play. 

Freshman Charlie Adams won at No. 2 singles 6-0, 6-0. Freshman Milan Mirkovic picked up a No. 3 singles win 6-2, 6-2, and paired up with freshman Julien Clouette — a No. 6 singles winner 6-2, 6-4 — for a No. 3 doubles win 8-6. 

Junior captain Dugan Delp won at No. 4 singles 6-2, 6-1, and teamed up with sophomore John Ciraci for a No. 2 doubles win 8-2. Ciraci was a No. 5 singles winner 6-0, 6-1. 

“We barely beat the Huskies 5-4 last year, so we are happy with an 8-1 score. Our doubles improvement is paying off,” head coach Keith Turner said. 

The Chargers swept Lake Superior State 9-0 on Sunday evening at home, improving their record to 9-6 on the season. 

Hillsdale dominated singles, winning every match in straight sets. Hyman won his first set 7-5, and took his second set 6-0 to win at No. 1 singles. 

Adams continued his perfect week with a No. 2 singles win 6-3, 6-1, and paired with Hyman to win at No. 1 doubles 8-6.

Mirkovic shut out the Lakers No. 3 singles 6-0, 6-0 to defend his 11-0 singles record. Clouette was a No. 6 singles winner 6-0, 6-1, and the two picked up a No. 3 doubles win 8-2. 

Delp shut out No. 4 singles 6-0, 6-0, while Ciraci won at No. 5 singles 6-2, 6-0. Delp paired with Ciraci to win No. 2 doubles 8-2. 

Hillsdale has dominated doubles play in its last three matches.

“It’s incredible we beat the Lakers 9-0, considering we lost to them last year 5-4. That’s a big change in our game, and we will continue playing like this,” Mirkovic said. “We already have more conference wins than last year.”

Delp said Hillsdale was frustrated by the match against the Lakers last season, and added that he is happy for Mirkovic.

“Milan spanked No. 3 singles 6-0, 6-0, while his opponent was complaining that there was nothing he could do, because Milan is ‘too good’ —  he really is, and he’s showing no signs of stopping,” Delp said. 

Recently, Hyman was named GLIAC Player of the Week, a first-time award for the second-year team. 

“As a team, we are getting better and gaining more recognition — this award and our record show how strong our team has become,” Turner said. 

Hillsdale will face Wayne State on Saturday, April 1 at home, with only five matches remaining this season.

“Our remaining matches will affect if we get into the GLIAC tournament, our seed in it, and our potential to be regionally ranked,” Delp said. “We have already played the two historically-best teams, Ferris and Grand Valley. Wayne State and Northwood are probably the two next-best teams.”