Members of the softball team huddle before taking the field at the Midwest Region Crossover tour­nament. (Photo: Sarah Klopfer / Courtesy)

Strug­gling against 30-degree weather and wind gusts up to 33 mph over the weekend, the Chargers softball team went 1 – 3 at the Midwest Region Crossover tour­nament in Evans­ville, Indiana, dropping two games Sat­urday and splitting two games on Sunday, fin­ishing with a win.

Sophomore second baseman Amanda Marra said hitting came alive Sat­urday, and batters came through with well-timed hits with runners on base. Ulti­mately, though, the Chargers lost 14 – 8 to Ken­tucky Wes­leyan and 9 – 5 to Bel­larmine.

“Sat­urday was rough,” senior catcher Cassie Asselta said. “Our hitting was better than it had been, but if we’re going to score eight runs, we can’t give up 14.”

Against Ken­tucky Wes­leyan, Kastning went 3-for-4 with two doubles, three runs scored, and two RBIs. Over the course of the weekend,  senior center fielder Bekah Kastning hit .571, with an addi­tional two RBIs against Bel­larmine. Marra and freshman out­fielder Vic­toria Addis both went 2-for-4 against Bel­larmine, bringing in two runs each. Junior third baseman Kelsey Gockman hit a two-run single, while sophomore out­fielder Katie Kish went 2-for-3.

Head coach Joe Abraham said the two main factors in the weekend’s losses were defensive errors and pitchers getting behind in counts.

“Defen­sively, we’re just simply making too many errors on the field,” he said. “Part of that is pitchers falling behind hitters makes it tough to play defense.”

After a five-inning 11 – 1 loss to Southern Indiana, where the only hit was sophomore first baseman Haley Lawrence’s home run, the Chargers rallied for a 4 – 3 victory over McK­endree. All four of the team’s runs came in the bottom of the second inning with a two-run single from freshman Sam Catron and a two-run double from Kish. Freshman pitcher Dana Wei­dinger allowed only one earned run against McK­endree. Abraham said the win against McK­endree was typical of how the team wins games.

“The one big inning will beat the few small innings almost every time,” he said. “You can afford to give up a solo home run when you’re not giving runs away oth­erwise.”

This weekend put the Chargers at 4 – 5 overall, but Abraham said the past nine games against above-average teams has pro­vided valuable expe­rience for a half-freshmen team. Asselta said the team was able to dial in and refocus for the game against McK­endree, allowing the team to finish the weekend on a strong note.

“Even though we were down after losing those first three games, the fact that we were able to pull it together and find our­selves as a team for that last game is what matters,” Asselta said. “We play a family sport, so if not everyone’s on their game, it can compile and get out of hand, but it’s pulling every­thing back together that proves the quality of the team, and we were def­i­nitely able to do that.”

Next, the softball team will play 14 games over spring break in Clermont, Florida, before beginning con­ference play at home against Findlay Mar. 25.