Greg Sakall, class of 1995 was appointed as an Arizona county superior court judge.

Earlier this month, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey appointed Daniel Gregory Sakall ’95 to the Pima County Superior Court.

Sakall fills the vacancy created by retiring Judge Carmine Cor­nelio. He will hear criminal, civil, domestic, juvenile, and probate estate cases as judge of general juris­diction in the state’s second most pop­ulous county.

Before being appointed to the bench, Sakall clerked for two federal dis­trict judges in Tucson, Arizona, and then worked as a staff attorney with the Goldberg and Osborne law firm for 12 years. He also served as chair of the Rules Com­mittee of the Pima County Bar Asso­ci­ation and has served as adjunct law pro­fessor at the Uni­versity of Arizona since 2004.

“The county in which I live has a ‘merit selection process’: Tucson doesn’t have con­tested judicial elec­tions for our superior court,” Sakall said. “They select from the can­di­dates a slate of names that then goes to the governor’s office.”

While at Hillsdale, Sakall, who had a double major in Spanish and history and a minor in pol­itics, impressed pol­itics department chairman Mickey Craig, who described him as “happy-go-lucky,” smart, and hard­working.

Mark Kalthoff, chairman of the history department, got to know Sakall because both were involved with Inter­Varsity Christian Fellowship’s min­istry on campus. During his time at Hillsdale, Kalthoff said he would go to Ray’s Tavern in Reading to get burgers with him and that Sakall was often a guest in his home.

“I’m not in the least bit sur­prised to see him go a ways,” Kalthoff said.

Alumna Deanna Ducher ’95, who took a number of classes with Sakall while at Hillsdale and now teaches history at Hillsdale Academy, described him as fair-minded and intel­lec­tually curious.

Since grad­u­ating Hillsdale summa cum laude, Sakall attended law school at the Uni­versity of Arizona, where he also grad­uated summa cum laude in 2001.

“Greg is an intel­ligent and impressive lit­i­gator, and has demon­strated his com­mitment to the cit­izens of Pima County,” Ducey said in a statement. “His service as an adjunct law pro­fessor at the Uni­versity of Arizona College of Law for the last 13 years is espe­cially impressive, given that he also main­tains a busy law practice.”