Mason Clutter works in security and talks into the radio. Madeleine Barry / Col­legian.

As wind gusts of up to 60 mph blew across campus Tuesday, trees and power lines fell, closing roads around campus.
For cir­cum­stances like this, Hillsdale College’s Safety and Security Office should tweet out updates, so stu­dents, faculty, and staff can stay up-to-date on extreme weather and traffic.
Many other cam­puses use Twitter for their security depart­ments. During an attack on Ohio State Uni­versity in November, social media alerts and emer­gency mes­sages put out a warning to the campus and con­tinued to keep it informed.
Hillsdale does have an emer­gency mes­saging system that can send texts, emails, and phone calls to stu­dents and their emer­gency con­tacts, faculty, staff, and emer­gency per­sonnel. But the college needs a way to send less critical mes­sages to campus.
On Tuesday, security could have tweeted that a fallen power line was blocking College Street near the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house to help those trav­eling to and from campus.
This week, with the Center for Con­structive Alter­na­tives seminar hap­pening, more vis­itors are on campus, reducing the number of parking spaces. With a Twitter account, security could advise stu­dents to leave extra time to find parking, reducing the stress of driving all around campus to find free space minutes before class.
Last week, Director of Campus Security and Emer­gency Man­agement William Whorley sent a four-word email to stu­dents about the National Weather Service issuing a tornado warning for Hillsdale County and telling stu­dents to take cover. It seemed unnec­essary to send such a short email when many were already getting phone alerts.
In a cir­cum­stance like that, a tweet would notify stu­dents, pro­viding an easy way for stu­dents to quickly contact security if they had ques­tions.
Twitter also allows stu­dents to sub­scribe to an account and get noti­fi­ca­tions when that account tweets. That way, stu­dents won’t miss any news.
Plus, with security sitting on the out­skirts of campus, a Twitter account would give it the oppor­tunity to interact more with campus and serve the Hillsdale com­munity even better than before.