Jaycie Burger (left) and Maddie Clark (right) pose with their three State Championship trophies. (Photo: Maddie Clark / Courtesy)

The Pittsford Wildcats girl’s basketball team, with a record of 103-2 throughout the past four years, reigns the 2017 Class D Girls Basketball State Champions, dominating for the second year in a row. 

Two seniors, Maddie Clark and Jaycie Burger, will join the Hillsdale College Chargers this fall, with Clark playing women’s volleyball and Burger joining the women’s basketball team. 

Both women have excelled in numerous varsity athletics throughout their high school careers and will add to the Charger teams as they head from the GLIAC to GMAC. 

Clark intends to join the volleyball team as an outside hitter. Setting Pittsford high school records for kills in a match, season, and a career, her high school volleyball record shows a total of 1,495 kills, 183 blocks, 1,179 digs, and 291 service aces. 

“I have been blessed to have played with such great teammates,” Clark said. “We have had great runs on the basketball team the past three years.” 

Coming to Hillsdale became a dream of Clark’s when she was in eighth grade and started attending volleyball camps with Hillsdale head volleyball coach Chris Gravel. 

“As I got older, I started thinking that it would be so cool to play at Hillsdale,” Clark said. “I just felt at home when I was there and I know that I am going to get a great education.” 

Gravel is looking forward to adding Clark to the team. 

“She is very successful in everything that she focuses on,” Gravel said. “She’s very focused on basketball, and she’s very focused on track, and she’s probably the least focused on volleyball, but she’s still an amazing player. Now that she is focused on volleyball, we can’t wait to see all that she does.”

While Clark has had a successful high school basketball career and is also a state-champion discus thrower, she is excited to play volleyball. 

“Volleyball is a one love,” Clark said. “I’ve never gotten tired of playing volleyball, so this is a dream come true.” 

Burger, a starting guard for Pittsford, has received First-Team All-State honors each year since her sophomore year. Her basketball records claim over 1,000 points throughout her career, scoring 27 of 71 winning points in the 2017 Class D State Championship game. 

Burger said she was blessed to be part of such a winning team. 

“No matter who filled the lineup, the court was filled with passionate and hardworking players,” Burger said. “I’m glad I went through Pittsford when I did. I don’t think I could have asked for better teammates.”

Freshmen year for Clark and Burger will be the first time in the past 10 years that they will not be playing together on the same team.

“It will be shocking to not be on the same team,” Clark said. “We have been on the same team ever since we were younger, but it was a great 10 years that we played together. I would love to play another four years with her, but I was extremely blessed to have played alongside such a talented teammate.” 

Being at the same school will allow them to be together as Chargers while following their dreams with separate sports. 

“It’s definitely going to be different not playing with her, but watching her,” Burger said. “She is my best friend, and I’d love to be on the court with her, but I can’t wait to watch her and see all that she does.”