ODK holds panel of local entrepreneurs

Home Campus ODK holds panel of local entrepreneurs
ODK holds panel of local entrepreneurs
Local Hillsdale entrepreneurs discuss their challenges and give advice to students interested in starting their own company on Tuesday in Dow Leadership Center for Omicron Delta Kappa, the leadership honorary. Chris Pudenz | Courtesy

More than 40 students and faculty members attended a luncheon sponsored by Omicron Delta Kappa, Hillsdale College’s leadership honorary, and the career services office to hear from local entrepreneurs.

The event sought to inform students of the challenges that come with being an entrepreneur and to connect students with working professionals in the community, ODK Secretary senior Larissa Clark said.

“It was a cool way to bridge the gap between student’s education and their careers,” Clark said.

The business owners shared the challenges they face and advice they would give to aspiring entrepreneurs. They emphasized the importance of using connections and pursuing a loved habit.

“Do due diligence to your network of family and friends, but remember that the endeavor is yours,” said Derek Spiteri, owner of Handmade, the new sandwich and coffee eatery on Hillsdale Street. “Choose what information and advice you keep.”

Jonna Macy, owner of the Toasted Mud pottery studio in downtown Hillsdale, and Patti Bailey, owner of the downtown women’s boutique Maggie Anne’s, said it is important for entrepreneurs to have a solid business plan and know the market, especially when starting.

But whatever an entrepreneur does, it is essential to make sure that serving others, including customers and employees, is at the forefront of his or her mind, said Jason Sherrill, executive director of Hillsdale College’s information technology services and former CEO of a financial security company.

“Be humble but not too humble,” he said.

Chris Pudenz, president of Hillsdale’s chapter of ODK, said the luncheon is a way for students to learn from members of the community and working professionals.

“At Hillsdale, ODK works on fostering healthy, engaged community relations,” Pudenz said. “This allows students to see there are good things in the community. It’s opening lines of communication.”