The 2016 – 2017 Lamp­lighters gather for a mixer. Madeline Barry | Col­legian

Lamp­lighters, the senior women’s hon­orary on Hillsdale College’s campus, is cel­e­brating the induction of its new eight members at the Honors Cer­emony on Sat­urday.

Founded in 1949, Lamp­lighters was estab­lished at Hillsdale to rec­ognize out­standing women and to stand as a coun­terpart to the men’s hon­orary, the Mortar Board. The current senior members selected junior women based on the four pillars of the hon­orary: char­acter, schol­arship, lead­ership, and service to the com­munity and college.

“The hon­orary says, ‘You are one of these eight out­standing senior women who exem­plify these traits,’” Fleming said. “It’s how we were picked, and it’s how we pick the new members.”

Lamp­lighters inherit charm bracelets from alumnae. The bracelets have 12 charms with the names of 12 past Lamp­lighters who had the bracelet. At the end of the year, the women remove the oldest charm and send it with a letter to the alumna Lamp­lighter.

Junior Madison Frame said she is excited to join the hon­orary with a rich tra­dition.

“I think the emphasis instead of being on sis­terhood is more on a tra­dition or a her­itage, and you’re passing on the tra­dition of women who have come before you in Lamp­lighters,” Frame said. “That was mean­ingful for me, because there have been several seniors as well as upper­classman from the past two years who I know and respected a lot, really looked up to who were members of Lamp­lighters.”

Junior Rachel Watson, a new inductee to the hon­orary, said it was an honor to be rec­og­nized by prominent leaders on campus.

“It’s really cool to see that group of women and how diverse they are and seeing that all the out­standing senior women nom­inees were Lamp­lighters and half of the President’s Ball court women were Lamp­lighters,” Watson said. “Seeing people rec­og­nized by this group but also by the entire campus, that’s been impressive and hum­bling.”

This year, the hon­orary is dis­cussing ways to increase its involvement with the student body. Pres­ident Larissa Clark said she hopes to give a lun­cheon for under­class women to share advice and encour­agement.

“Larissa’s vision is to take our­selves off a pedestal,” Fleming said “We want to talk about the things we’ve struggled with in college as well as the things we’ve learned.”

This year’s Lamp­lighters also assisted with the Women’s Com­mis­sioners Sale in the fall, which raises schol­arship money for Hillsdale College stu­dents, and held a mixer in the spring for women who qualify for the 3.4 GPA requirement to get into Lamp­lighters.

Then in 12 years, each member of the 2016 – 2017 Lamp­lighter circle will receive a charm with their name on it accom­panied by a letter from a future Lamp­lighter.

“It’s a way for past and present Hillsdale women to be con­nected in hon­oring char­acter, schol­arship, service, and lead­ership,” Christina Lambert ’16 said.