Hillsdale College’s Inter­na­tional Club invites campus to a costume cel­e­bration of Purim on Friday at 7 p.m. in Mauck Res­i­dence.

Purim, a lesser Jewish holiday, com­mem­o­rates the defeat of Haman’s plot to kill the Jews, according to the Book of Esther. Freshman Shavit Rootman, who was born and raised in Israel and cel­e­brates the holiday every year at home, sug­gested the club hold a Purim cel­e­bration.

The club encourages stu­dents to dress in cos­tumes as is custom in Israel. The bib­lical story tells of several uses of hidden iden­tities: Esther wore a dis­guise in her palace; Mordecai hid his identity, when he came to the town of Shushan; and God sent his angels in dis­guise.

The club’s faculty advisers, Pro­fessor of French Sherri Rose and Pro­fessor of Spanish Carmen Wyatt-Hayes, will judge a costume contest from 7 – 8 p.m. The winner gets a $25 Amazon gift card.

“Dig deep into your closets, and see if you can come up with some­thing cre­ative, mys­te­rious, or humorous,” Rose said.

Inter­na­tional Club Pres­ident junior Ema Karakoleva said she hopes the event will expose stu­dents to a new aspect of another culture.

“You may not be familiar with the annual Purim street party in Tel Aviv,” Rose said. “This is a fun oppor­tunity to par­tic­ipate in one of the most spirited hol­idays in the Jewish tra­dition.”