Wiki­media

After just 18 hours of rehearsal, Hillsdale’s sym­phony orchestra will play a full concert tonight at 8 p.m. in the Sage Center for the Arts. The concert will feature two con­certo com­pe­tition winners, sophomore vio­linist Tova Forman and junior vocalist Sarah Schutte. The Hillsdale College Big Band will play a jazz afterglow concert fol­lowing the per­for­mance.

“We had a short rehearsal period for this, com­pared to a lot of our con­certs because of the Wash­ington, D.C., trip. It kind of cut into our rehearsal time,” Music Director James Holleman said. “It’s fun music to listen to.”

The orchestra played for the College Orchestra Directors’ Association’s annual con­ference in Wash­ington, D.C. this Feb­ruary, and preparing for the trip con­sumed a sig­nif­icant amount of this semester’s rehearsal time. The orchestra rushed to learn the music for the concert after their Wash­ington, D.C., per­for­mance, con­cert­master Rachelle Fer­guson, a senior vio­linist, said.

“Every­thing has been hap­pening at once,” Fer­guson said. “With the D.C. concert, we didn’t touch this music until the second week of Feb­ruary. Which was great, because we had all that time to polish our D.C. music, which really paid off. But we’ve only had this music for a month.”

The number of orchestra members who played in the pit for the musical “Kiss Me, Kate!” also cut into rehearsal time, Fer­guson said.

“The musical this week as well — so many people are involved in that, Pro­fessor Holleman hasn’t been able to rehearse us,” she said.

Nev­er­theless, Forman will open the concert with a series of Romanian folk dances by Bela Bartok.

“They’re really fun to play on violin,” Forman said. “It’s nice to open the concert with a short fun piece … and that’s kind of what mine is.”

Schutte will sing “Ah sco­stati – Smanie impla­cabili” from Mozart’s opera “Cosi fan tutte.” The aria is sung by the char­acter Dora­bella as she laments her beloved’s departure to war. Schutte will also sing “Lied” and “Csardas” from Franz Lehar’s “Zige­uner­liebe.”

The program also includes Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov’s “Capriccio Espagnol,” Alan Hovhaness’s “Mys­te­rious Mountain” sym­phony, and Modest Mussorgsky’s “Night On Bald Mountain.”

“It is really fun music,” Fer­guson said. “The Rimsky-Kor­sakov is cool because it fea­tures a lot of soloists and a  lot of groups. There’s actually one movement that is mostly cadenzas all around the orchestra … It’s very fun. The theme kind of gets passed around the orchestra in a very cool way.”

This concert will be shorter than most, Holleman said, which will allow stu­dents to rest from studying before spring break.

“It should be really good energy, it should be really upbeat, and it should be really audience-friendly,” Holleman said.