As the spring semester begins winding down, stu­dents can’t help but think of their summer plans. While most of us like to think of this season as solely a time to relax, the reality is that there’s no better time to gain job and life-expe­rience. Luckily, that doesn’t mean summer can’t be fun! These five stu­dents have landed incredible oppor­tu­nities all around the world.

Junior Razi Lane - Legal research in Madrid, Spain

Razi Lane | Courtesy

How did you hear about the oppor­tunity?
I heard about my internship, con­ducted through a program called the Lex Fel­lowship, through John Flo, a Hillsdale Alumnus who partook in it earlier this year.

What will you be doing?
I will be working in an inter­na­tional law firm as a Lex Fellow. In the past stu­dents have worked at Lupicino Law, but this year it has yet to be deter­mined. I will be con­ducting research on inter­na­tional law and working alongside law partners to learn what they do.

Why did you choose this internship?
I chose the internship to broaden my legal expe­rience and prepare me for law school and a sub­se­quent career in mil­itary law, ideally with the US Navy. I also hope to connect with other stu­dents and better under­stand Spanish culture while in Madrid.

Junior Glynis Gilio — Studying and Working with Parliament in London, England

Glynis Gilio | Courtesy

What and where is your internship?
I’m doing the internship through Arcadia Uni­versity and so I’ll be taking classes in London and living and working there. I’m not sure yet all the details of my internship because I’m still waiting to be matched with a member of the House of Commons in Par­liament.

Why did you choose this oppor­tunity?
I chose this because Hillsdale doesn’t offer a study abroad program in London and also it’s one of my favorite cities in the world for its history and urban social scene. I’m excited to see what oppor­tu­nities I can purpose there and what con­nec­tions I’ll make!

Senior Brittany Crimean — Camp Staff Leader in McLeod, Montana

Bri­tanny Crimean | Courtesy

What and where is your internship?
The camp is called Clyde­hurst Christian Ranch in McLeod, Montana. My official title will be High School Staff Leader.

How did you hear about this oppor­tunity?
Clyde­hurst has actually always been part of my life because my parents started taking me there for Family Camp when I was a baby. Both of my parents worked there in the ‘80s and ‘90s, and I always knew that I wanted to do the same. My dad worked at Clyde­hurst for 6 summers, and this year will by my 6th, so I’m excited to tie his record!

What will you be doing?
This will be my first as a high school staff leader. My job will include both super­vising the high school staff in their work, which includes doing dishes, cleaning, laundry, and basic upkeep of the camp, and more impor­tantly, serving as a spir­itual mentor to them throughout the summer.

Why did you choose this oppor­tunity?
When I first started working at Clyde­hurst in high school, my leaders were so influ­ential in my spir­itual life as they showed me how it looked to live as devoted ser­vants of Christ and came alongside me to help me grow in my own faith. I am looking forward to the oppor­tunity of dis­ci­pling these girls and hope­fully helping them learn how to be ser­vants and how to seek the Lord above any­thing else.

Freshman Sam Barke - Event Coordinating for President Trump and Vice President Pence

Sam Barke | Facebook

What and where is your internship?
I’ll be working on Trump and Pence’s advance team- so basi­cally event coor­di­nating. Whenever they have events or day travel, I’ll go out a few days before and help coor­dinate. That could mean helping with picking loca­tions, asking ques­tions like, where do they want the stage? Stuff like that.

It was orig­i­nally planned to be based out of D.C., but the ten­tative plan is to keep me on the road so I don’t have to have a place. Hope­fully I can keep going from one place to the next, moving loca­tions about once a week. That’s perfect for me. My dream job involves living in hotels and air­ports.

They don’t typ­i­cally have interns. People who worked on the cam­paign in the same sort of capacity actually reached out to me about this oppor­tunity.

Junior Laurel Nitzel — Teaching Foreign Students in Temecula, California

Laurel Nitzel | Courtesy

What and where is your internship?
I’ll be working at the Summer English Institute in Temecula, Cal­i­fornia, at Cal­i­fornia Baptist Uni­versity. I will essen­tially be an assistant English lan­guage teacher, RA, and mentor to foreign stu­dents who are preparing to attend American uni­ver­sities and high schools.

I heard about it through a family friend who is asso­ciated with Wheaton College, which used to partner with Wheaton Academy. Wheaton Academy is the school that started SEI.