The music fra­ternity Phi Mu Alpha will host its Cof­fee­house acoustic music night on Sat­urday, March 4, from 7 to 10 p.m. This is a schedule change from the adver­tised March 3 per­for­mances.

Event orga­nizer junior Jacob Hann said Cof­fee­house allows him to live out the fraternity’s mission to encourage musi­cally tal­ented stu­dents to perform pub­licly.

“Cof­fee­house lowers the intensity, turns down the volume, and gets people up on stage,” he said. “I think it’s a good way to ween people into the per­forming arts.”

Although Cof­fee­house is a semes­terly event held on Parents Weekend right now, Hann said there is enough student interest for it to occur more fre­quently and he hopes Cof­fee­house will become a monthly occur­rence.

“The day I put out the sign-up sheet, it gets filled. That tells me stu­dents are inter­ested in per­forming,” he said.

Student acts said they like how Cof­fee­house gives them the oppor­tunity to share music live with their friends and let parents be a part of campus culture.

“I like getting out and per­forming live,” freshman Matt Mont­gomery said. “I think live per­for­mance is the most mean­ingful way to share music with other people.”

Mont­gomery per­formed as a solo act at last year’s Cof­fee­house. This year, he and his band, Radical Free Whale, will play a full acoustic set.

Senior Kaleb Molina, who has played Cof­fee­house events since his freshman year, said he liked the chance to play for a diverse audience in a relaxed setting.

“You get to establish a rapport with the audience,” he said. “It’s also great to showcase campus culture for parents.”  

In the Fall 2016 semester, Cof­fee­house coin­cided with the Parents Weekend mixer, which led to some ram­bunc­tious antics after the per­for­mances. To prevent a repeat, Hann arranged to move Cof­fee­house from Friday to Sat­urday.

Hann said he hopes to resolves sched­uling issues in the future because he believes that when the two events were held together both parents and stu­dents showed more interest.

“I had never seen so many people sitting there actively lis­tening to student acts,” he said.