The music fraternity Phi Mu Alpha will host its Coffeehouse acoustic music night on Saturday, March 4, from 7 to 10 p.m. This is a schedule change from the advertised March 3 performances.

Event organizer junior Jacob Hann said Coffeehouse allows him to live out the fraternity’s mission to encourage musically talented students to perform publicly.

“Coffeehouse lowers the intensity, turns down the volume, and gets people up on stage,” he said. “I think it’s a good way to ween people into the performing arts.”

Although Coffeehouse is a semesterly event held on Parents Weekend right now, Hann said there is enough student interest for it to occur more frequently and he hopes Coffeehouse will become a monthly occurrence.

“The day I put out the sign-up sheet, it gets filled. That tells me students are interested in performing,” he said.

Student acts said they like how Coffeehouse gives them the opportunity to share music live with their friends and let parents be a part of campus culture.

“I like getting out and performing live,” freshman Matt Montgomery said. “I think live performance is the most meaningful way to share music with other people.”

Montgomery performed as a solo act at last year’s Coffeehouse. This year, he and his band, Radical Free Whale, will play a full acoustic set.

Senior Kaleb Molina, who has played Coffeehouse events since his freshman year, said he liked the chance to play for a diverse audience in a relaxed setting.

“You get to establish a rapport with the audience,” he said. “It’s also great to showcase campus culture for parents.”  

In the Fall 2016 semester, Coffeehouse coincided with the Parents Weekend mixer, which led to some rambunctious antics after the performances. To prevent a repeat, Hann arranged to move Coffeehouse from Friday to Saturday.

Hann said he hopes to resolves scheduling issues in the future because he believes that when the two events were held together both parents and students showed more interest.

“I had never seen so many people sitting there actively listening to student acts,” he said.