The recently placed motto “In God We Trust” on one of the Sheriff Office’s patrol cars.
(Photo: Facebook)

After the Hillsdale County Board of Com­mis­sioners unan­i­mously approved the decision to place “In God We Trust” decals on the Hillsdale County Sheriff Office’s vehicles in a Feb. 28 meeting, a Hillsdale res­ident con­tacted the American Civil Lib­erties Union.

The HCSO recently placed the con­tro­versial national motto on their vehicles, leading some cit­izens to voice their con­cerns about whether or not the gov­ernment has the right to support a spe­cific religion.

Hillsdale Sheriff Tim Parker made the decision to place the decals on HCSO’s vehicles and, even after backlash from some members of the com­munity, he believes the majority of the county sup­ports his decision.

“I’ve had over­whelming support for this decision,” Parker said. “I’ve only had a couple of neg­ative calls.”

The BOC’s unan­imous approval, he said, is proof of that. This approval, however, has been called into question by some troubled cit­izens.

“They’re a little late on it,” Hillsdale res­ident Tia Spratt said. “How can you vote on some­thing already decided?”

Spratt said the BOC should have been con­sulted before Parker acted, because then cit­izens would have been able to voice their con­cerns.

In a poll taken on the com­munity Facebook page Hillsdale’s Hot Debates, 72 percent of those who took the poll said they “loved” the new slogan on HCSO’s vehicles.

Regardless of this support, Spratt said it is important to protect all reli­gions, and because of that she con­tacted the ACLU. The motto “In God We Trust,” regardless of whether or not it is the national motto, does not rep­resent everyone, she said.

Parker, however, said the ACLU will not change any­thing.

“Just because one person is offended and unhappy doesn’t mean this is going to change,” he said.

Parker stands by his decision and believes the decals are a good thing for not only the HCSO, but also the county. He said he will con­tinue to stand by it, even if the ACLU gets involved.

“Good luck,” he said.

Previous articleHow to Become A.J.’s “Customer of the Week”
Next articleRedwood tree statue would embody eternal truths
Kaylee McGhee
Kaylee McGhee is a junior at Hillsdale College, majoring in Politics with a minor in Journalism. This is her third year writing for the Collegian and served as last semester's City News Editor. Kaylee is currently studying in Washington D.C., where she works for the Weekly Standard and contributes to the Collegian as our D.C. correspondent. Kaylee has also worked as an editorial intern for the Detroit News. Follow her on Twitter: @kmcghee04 email: kmcghee@hillsdale.edu