ACLU contacted over ‘In God We Trust’ decals

Home City News ACLU contacted over ‘In God We Trust’ decals
The recently placed motto “In God We Trust” on one of the Sheriff Office’s patrol cars.
(Photo: Facebook)

After the Hillsdale County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved the decision to place “In God We Trust” decals on the Hillsdale County Sheriff Office’s vehicles in a Feb. 28 meeting, a Hillsdale resident contacted the American Civil Liberties Union.

The HCSO recently placed the controversial national motto on their vehicles, leading some citizens to voice their concerns about whether or not the government has the right to support a specific religion.

Hillsdale Sheriff Tim Parker made the decision to place the decals on HCSO’s vehicles and, even after backlash from some members of the community, he believes the majority of the county supports his decision.

“I’ve had overwhelming support for this decision,” Parker said. “I’ve only had a couple of negative calls.”

The BOC’s unanimous approval, he said, is proof of that. This approval, however, has been called into question by some troubled citizens.

“They’re a little late on it,” Hillsdale resident Tia Spratt said. “How can you vote on something already decided?”

Spratt said the BOC should have been consulted before Parker acted, because then citizens would have been able to voice their concerns.

In a poll taken on the community Facebook page Hillsdale’s Hot Debates, 72 percent of those who took the poll said they “loved” the new slogan on HCSO’s vehicles.

Regardless of this support, Spratt said it is important to protect all religions, and because of that she contacted the ACLU. The motto “In God We Trust,” regardless of whether or not it is the national motto, does not represent everyone, she said.

Parker, however, said the ACLU will not change anything.

“Just because one person is offended and unhappy doesn’t mean this is going to change,” he said.

Parker stands by his decision and believes the decals are a good thing for not only the HCSO, but also the county. He said he will continue to stand by it, even if the ACLU gets involved.

“Good luck,” he said.