Via Flickr

Over the past several months, stu­dents have suf­fered through mono, the flu, bron­chitis, and the common cold, without access to fre­quent care on campus. The college Health Center has only one physician — who is only available for one hour, from 8 to 9 a.m.

To combat health issues better, the college should either hire a full-time doctor or find a way to make a doctor more available to stu­dents. This is a problem worth pre­scribing a solution.

First, the Health Center needs a doctor on call. It should be a way for stu­dents to seek quick non-emer­gency medical help, but, in its current form, stu­dents who require pre­scrip­tions or a pro­fes­sional opinion often have to return the next day. Since stu­dents have class in the morning, this is often dif­ficult.

Second, the single hour of avail­ability results in long wait times for those seeking help. This some­times means only stu­dents free from 8 to 10 a.m. can consult the doctor and would have to miss class if the wait times ran too long.

We see two main options for fixing the problem. First, the college could certify one of the current Health Center nurses as a physician, nurse prac­ti­tioner, or physician’s assistant. That way, the college will have an employee available full-time to help stu­dents with medical issues quickly, without requiring them to return in the next morning.

Second, the college could hire Dr. Andrew Scholl, PA-C, the current physician at the Health Center, out­right. He is an excellent physician, and the Health Center would benefit from him working pri­marily from their office. Though he does practice else­where, dis­cussing options with him is a good first step.

The need for a per­manent physician at the Health Center should be foremost. We have sur­vived one year of coughing, sneezing, and sore throats, but we should not enter Fall 2017 without proper medical cov­erage.