Student Fed members are inducted. Emily Blatter | Collegian

All students will soon have access to new camping equipment at Hayden Park.

In addition to approving the Federalist Society, Hillsdale College’s Student Federation granted the Outdoor Adventures Club $2,300 for tenting equipment durings its Feb. 16 meeting. The equipment will benefit the club’s trips as well as allow all students to get outside, even if they don’t own their own equipment, said sophomore Emma McCormick, Outdoor Adventures Club founder and president.

The equipment includes tents, stoves, pots, water filters, a lantern, and rope for backpacking, McCormick said. Outdoor Adventures Club will maintain the equipment and keep track of it, but all students will be able to use it.

“Similar to the kayaks down at Baw Beese, or the ice skates or the bikes, this is equipment that is here for every student at the college,” McCormick said. “We’ll store it at Hayden Park, and it will stay with the college.”

Student Fed also approved Hillsdale College’s chapter of the Federalist Society, a national organization promoting conservative principles in the legal profession.

In the fall, Michigan Supreme Court Justice Brian Zahra helped Hillsdale start an undergraduate chapter of the Federalist Society, said the group’s president, senior Joshua Lee. Usually reserved for law schools and graduate schools, Hillsdale’s chapter is only the second undergraduate chapter of the society.

Student Fed approved the Federalist Society on probation, which means that the organization is officially recognized as a campus club but cannot receive money from Student Fed until next semester. The federation’s representatives discussed at length whether to waive the probation period but decided to enforce it.

“Probation does not keep the Federalist Society from any benefits,” Student Fed Treasurer sophomore Ross Hatley said. “Rather it reasserts that we have the responsibility for any new club to always look back and check up with them, see how we can help them.”

The Federalist Society will function both as a college chapter of a national organization and as a club for students interested in the legal profession, Federalist Society Vice President sophomore Anna Perry said.

The club also plans to help students prepare for the Law School Admission Test by providing study materials and monthly opportunities to take practice tests. It is also planning an eight-week seminar that will guide students studying for the test, Perry said.

“We had an LSAT prep guy come in, and he kind of went over the 101, the basics of the LSAT,” Perry said. “But what our education chair would do is really be able to dive into the issues and kind of the tips and tricks of the LSAT that you don’t get in an everyday LSAT prep course.”

The Federalist Society is also looking to start a law review, a monthly publication of roughly 40 pages in length that focuses on legal thought.

“A lot of different Ivy League schools have been doing this, and it distinguishes their students applying to law school because they’ve already published things in that law-review format,” said sophomore Abigail Allen, Federalist Society marketing and operations director.

The Hillsdale Law Review would provide a conservative counterpoint to other, predominantly liberal law reviews already in circulation.

“We want to brand our law review as the conservative undergraduate law review,” Allen said. “We think we can pull in some very interesting conservative legal minds to write for it…We’re hoping that as it grows it can be well-known as a place to find conservative legal thought.”

The society’s officers said they also plan to create a “Brain Bank” — a collection of alumni connections and advice that students can use to learn about and apply for law school, Perry said.

Federalist Society Treasurer junior Jacob Weaver said the officers are planning for the group to mostly fund itself. Since Hillsdale’s chapter is part of the national organization, it comes with many outside funding opportunities, and independent fundraising efforts by Hillsdale’s chapter should help keep the club financially self-sufficient, he said.