Student Fed members are inducted. Emily Blatter | Col­legian

All stu­dents will soon have access to new camping equipment at Hayden Park.

In addition to approving the Fed­er­alist Society, Hillsdale College’s Student Fed­er­ation granted the Outdoor Adven­tures Club $2,300 for tenting equipment durings its Feb. 16 meeting. The equipment will benefit the club’s trips as well as allow all stu­dents to get outside, even if they don’t own their own equipment, said sophomore Emma McCormick, Outdoor Adven­tures Club founder and pres­ident.

The equipment includes tents, stoves, pots, water filters, a lantern, and rope for back­packing, McCormick said. Outdoor Adven­tures Club will maintain the equipment and keep track of it, but all stu­dents will be able to use it.

“Similar to the kayaks down at Baw Beese, or the ice skates or the bikes, this is equipment that is here for every student at the college,” McCormick said. “We’ll store it at Hayden Park, and it will stay with the college.”

Student Fed also approved Hillsdale College’s chapter of the Fed­er­alist Society, a national orga­ni­zation pro­moting con­ser­v­ative prin­ciples in the legal pro­fession.

In the fall, Michigan Supreme Court Justice Brian Zahra helped Hillsdale start an under­graduate chapter of the Fed­er­alist Society, said the group’s pres­ident, senior Joshua Lee. Usually reserved for law schools and graduate schools, Hillsdale’s chapter is only the second under­graduate chapter of the society.

Student Fed approved the Fed­er­alist Society on pro­bation, which means that the orga­ni­zation is offi­cially rec­og­nized as a campus club but cannot receive money from Student Fed until next semester. The federation’s rep­re­sen­ta­tives dis­cussed at length whether to waive the pro­bation period but decided to enforce it.

“Pro­bation does not keep the Fed­er­alist Society from any ben­efits,” Student Fed Trea­surer sophomore Ross Hatley said. “Rather it reasserts that we have the respon­si­bility for any new club to always look back and check up with them, see how we can help them.”

The Fed­er­alist Society will function both as a college chapter of a national orga­ni­zation and as a club for stu­dents inter­ested in the legal pro­fession, Fed­er­alist Society Vice Pres­ident sophomore Anna Perry said.

The club also plans to help stu­dents prepare for the Law School Admission Test by pro­viding study mate­rials and monthly oppor­tu­nities to take practice tests. It is also planning an eight-week seminar that will guide stu­dents studying for the test, Perry said.

“We had an LSAT prep guy come in, and he kind of went over the 101, the basics of the LSAT,” Perry said. “But what our edu­cation chair would do is really be able to dive into the issues and kind of the tips and tricks of the LSAT that you don’t get in an everyday LSAT prep course.”

The Fed­er­alist Society is also looking to start a law review, a monthly pub­li­cation of roughly 40 pages in length that focuses on legal thought.

“A lot of dif­ferent Ivy League schools have been doing this, and it dis­tin­guishes their stu­dents applying to law school because they’ve already pub­lished things in that law-review format,” said sophomore Abigail Allen, Fed­er­alist Society mar­keting and oper­a­tions director.

The Hillsdale Law Review would provide a con­ser­v­ative coun­ter­point to other, pre­dom­i­nantly liberal law reviews already in cir­cu­lation.

“We want to brand our law review as the con­ser­v­ative under­graduate law review,” Allen said. “We think we can pull in some very inter­esting con­ser­v­ative legal minds to write for it…We’re hoping that as it grows it can be well-known as a place to find con­ser­v­ative legal thought.”

The society’s officers said they also plan to create a “Brain Bank” — a col­lection of alumni con­nec­tions and advice that stu­dents can use to learn about and apply for law school, Perry said.

Fed­er­alist Society Trea­surer junior Jacob Weaver said the officers are planning for the group to mostly fund itself. Since Hillsdale’s chapter is part of the national orga­ni­zation, it comes with many outside funding oppor­tu­nities, and inde­pendent fundraising efforts by Hillsdale’s chapter should help keep the club finan­cially self-suf­fi­cient, he said.