Rise up, Falcons

Home Sports Rise up, Falcons
Rise up, Falcons
(Photo: Wikimedia Commons)

From year to year, the Atlanta Falcons never know what version of Matt Ryan they are going to get — this year they got the likely NFC MVP.

It’s because of this version of Ryan — along with the rest of the of the second best offense in the league — that the Falcons have a chance to upset the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LI in Houston, Texas, on Sunday.

Ryan’s dominance this season can’t be overstated. He threw for 38 touchdowns in the regular season, which left him behind only Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers. He was also the most efficient quarterback in the league, achieving a league-leading passer rating of 117.1 — five points higher than that of New England’s Tom Brady —  which gave him the fifth highest mark since the statistic’s inception in 1973.

Fortunately for Ryan, there is plenty of talent on the other end of his sniper-like precision, mainly in the form of Julio Jones, who hauled in the second most yards of any receiver in the league during the regular season. If Jones should be blanketed, Ryan can always look to versatile receivers like  Mohamed Sanu and Taylor Gabriel, who combined for 10 touchdowns in the regular season.

In addition to the Falcons’ devastating air raid, they can also engage their lethal ground attack, turning to the one-two of Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman, who reached the end zone a combined 23 times during the regular season. 

The entire offensive unit is lead by Offensive Coordinator Kyle Shanahan. Shanahan has been so effective this season, that he is presumably to be named the next head coach of the San Francisco 49ers.

Atlanta’s offensive firepower will have to compensate for its 27th-ranked defense. There is, however, one defensive stronghold for the Falcons: Vic Beasley.

The defensive end-linebacker hybrid has assaulted opposing quarterbacks this season, racking up an astounding and league high 15.5 sacks — two more than last year’s Super Bowl MVP Von Miller, who came in second in this year’s sack race.

Beasley’s job, however, is not to completely shut down the New England offense. Instead, he must be just enough of a menace to keep Brady in check, allowing Ryan and his offensive weapons to engage the Patriots in a competitive barn burner. If the likely MVP can do this, the Falcons may bring Atlanta its second ever major championship.