Joy Pullmann ’09 spoke on Common Core and her new book, “The Edu­cation Invasion,” this Tuesday night. Josh Lee | Col­legian

“Common Core is to edu­cation what Oba­macare is to health care,” Joy Pullmann said in a speech to stu­dents and pro­fessors gathered Tuesday night.

Pullmann is the man­aging editor of the Fed­er­alist and author of the upcoming book “The Edu­cation Invasion: How Common Core Fights Parents for Control of American Kids.” She grad­uated in 2009 from Hillsdale College, where she met her husband, Nathanael. She is one of the most influ­ential edu­cation jour­nalists in the country and became such by lis­tening to those who were being ignored by others.

As the former man­aging editor of School Reform News at The Heartland Institute, Pullmann first learned about Common Core by talking to mothers in her neigh­borhood and attending a local Tea Party meeting about the program.

“I was a bit nervous it would turn into a dis­cussion of con­spiracy the­ories, “ Pullmann said. “Instead, it was about an edu­ca­tional program con­structed by wealthy busi­nessman that com­pletely rejects the con­cerns of parents.”

After being impressed by the pre­sen­tation, she said she  learned every­thing she could on Common Core and was shocked that news outlets rarely dis­cussed the new program. She has spent the better part of the last five years reporting on and dis­cussing the deter­mi­nants of Common Core.

In her speech, Pullmann warned stu­dents of the ten­dency for both parties to govern through use of experts.

“Our politi­cians keep turning our edu­cation over to experts,” Pullmann said, citing No Child Left Behind under Pres­ident George W. Bush and Common Core under Obama.

Junior Sarah Schutte said she didn’t know much about Common Core besides rec­og­nizing the name.

“I was home­schooled, and I had heard of Common Core, but I didn’t know the details of how it was made,” she said. “I really liked how much detail Pullmann gave in the speech about the many closed door meetings of busi­nessman and bureau­crats had con­cerning the program.”

Freshman Sara Garfinkle said she enjoyed how the speech con­nected the impor­tance of pol­itics to edu­cation.

“Those looking at becoming teachers need to pay attention to how pol­itics shapes edu­cation,” she said.

Many pro­fessors said they enjoyed recon­necting with Pullmann at the speech. She is a won­derful example for all Hillsdale stu­dents, Asso­ciate Pro­fessor of Edu­cation Daniel Cou­pland said.

“It is great that she knows the topic so well and that she knows Hillsdale so well,” Cou­pland said. “This gives her a won­derful position to teach the stu­dents about these issues and provide an example.”

Pullmann spends most of her time as the man­aging editor for the Fed­er­alist and being a mother to four children, all while working on plans to open a clas­sical private school of her own.

“She is prac­ticing what she is teaching,” Cou­pland said. “She under­stands this stuff on the policy level, and she is also doing it on the ground level in her home. That is what makes her impressive. This is what the college is trying to encourage, and it is exciting to see former stu­dents excel at it in their own lives.”

At the close of her speech, Pullmann encouraged stu­dents to accept the respon­si­bility that accom­panies freedom.

“Amer­icans are gullible,” she said. “We want to believe that we can sur­render the respon­si­bility of self-gov­ernment and still expect freedom for our­selves. You can let someone else run your life, but you will like it even less than doing it yourself.”