The perks and pay of on-campus jobs

Home Features The perks and pay of on-campus jobs
The perks and pay of on-campus jobs
Grace DeSandro | Collegian

At least 35 percent of students on campus work, some as many as four or more different jobs according to Assistant Director of Career Services John Quint. With 73 supervisors in 56 different departments, work experiences can differ quite a bit between jobs.

From working in the president’s office to paid academic research with a professor, student workers make a difference, Quint said.

“If you ask supervisors, they would say the student employment they are allowed to have is so valuable,” Quint said.

For the first time ever, the college will be hosting an on-campus job fair in March. Students can meet supervisors, apply for jobs, and practice for future job fairs.

Here’s a bit of information to distinguish between the perks and pay of different hourly on-campus jobs.

A.J.’s Cafe 1844

Information from Makenzie Self

Flexible Hours? Weekly schedule.

Job Perks? Free soda while working. A.J.’s meal exchanges while working through meals.

Job Skills? Customer service.

“It gives me an opportunity to interact with people. It’s a great way to socialize and get to know new people, and I like coffee,” junior Colette Peterson said.

Contact Center

Information from John Papciak

Flexible Hours? Yes.

Job Perks? Access to Contact Center to study, access to Contact Center Conference Room, access to exclusive lectures for student employees by staff, faculty, and outside speakers.

“You get to interact with people all over the country, supporters and parents and people involved in different ways. There’s a whole network of support and we get to talk to them every day,” senior Rosie Ellison said.

Grewock Student Union

Information from Emma Klaserner

Flexible Hours? Weekly schedule.

Hiring? Yes, 10 students this spring.

“I like having the opportunity to spend quality time with Matt Katz, studying and giving people Ping-Pong paddles, and I like being central to campus where I get to see everyone while I’m on the clock — getting paid to do my homework,”

junior Mark Englert said.

Mossey Library

Information from Linda Moore

Flexible Hours? Weekly schedule.

Job Skills? Research skill development.

Hiring? In the fall.

“I love books and I also really love the people I work with. The library staff is very nice and helpful,” freshman Elyssa Warren said.

Marketing

Information from Kokko Tso

Flexible Hours? Yes.

Job Skills? Writers — published portfolio of blog work. Website — technical training and hands-on experience with the most widely-used content management system in the world, WordPress.

“I like being able to connect with campus through thinking about what aspects of campus would be appealing to write about,” sophomore Emma McCormick said.

Student  Activities Board

Information from Anthony Manno

Flexible Hours? Yes, but up to 20 hours some weeks.

Job Perks? Event perks, such as early sign-up privilege.

Job Skills? Creative freedom and professional development through opportunities to become certified in specific skills.

“We get to do a lot of different activities. It’s not only setting up ice rinks and registration. There’s a lot of organization and event planning and it allows you to interact with all kind of students,” junior Lyndsey Bice said.

Roche Sports Complex and Biermann Athletic Center

Information from Bradley Kocher

Flexible Hours? Yes.

Options: Fitness center, JAM room, climbing wall, gameday management staff, Biermann setup crew.

“I get to go and do something I’m passionate about a few times a week and get paid for it. We get to climb a lot, hone our skills, teach others, and watch them fall in love with it,” senior Eric Ragan said about working at the climbing wall.

Student Affairs Mentors

Information from John Quint

Job Skills? Professional development training, project management training, face-time with visiting employers, guest speakers, and fellow students.

“I love helping people realize their strengths and how to leverage their Hillsdale experience with potential employers. I’m always surprised by the hidden talents students have,” senior Larissa Clark said.

Student Ambassadors

Information from Maria Theisen

Flexible Hours? Yes.

Job Perks? The opportunity to meet and possibly persuade prospective students.

Job Skills? Office skills, customer service.

“I like getting to know the prospective students and figuring out what they’re interested in and telling them why they should want to come to Hillsdale,” senior Hannah Andrews said.