Donald Trump swears in on Bibles held by Melania Trump. Wiki­media Commons

Dear Editor,

I am writing in response to an op-ed written by Editor-in-Chief Tom Novelly in last week’s edition of the Col­legian. The article, titled “Trump, save ‘My Way’ for ‘The Last Dance’ not the first,” is well written, but misses the mark.

The song cel­e­brated the journey down the road, trav­elled by few, to the greatest office in the land. As I stood in the audience, gazing up at the new first couple, it was like looking at a campfire that you can’t take your eyes off. It was warm and emo­tional for many, including me. The his­toric moment I wit­nessed, along with many others, left its mark. But why?

It had meaning.

Mr. Novelly sug­gested Mr. Trump should “slow down,” that the “curtain call isn’t for four more years, maybe even longer.” On the con­trary, he should speed up. Our American excep­tion­alism, espoused almost ad nauseam here at Hillsdale, has spi­raled downward for years. Now is our time to shine again in this com­pli­cated and dan­gerous world. A pres­ident who puts the power back in our hands, who finally reserves a seat at his table for the everyday American, is what we cel­e­brated on the night of Jan. 20. As I looked up that night and saw the new pres­ident mouthing, “I did it my way” to his First Lady, I felt proud.

The song marks an end to Mr. Trump’s per­sonal life, one filled with ele­gance, success, wealth, and indul­gence. This country, as Mr. Trump has repeated mul­tiple times throughout his cam­paign, has given him so much. Now it is his turn, and, to him, his oblig­ation, to give back to his country. His civic life has begun. Every stroke of his pen, every public appearance, every song danced to now has unde­niable meaning. The song’s mem­o­rable phrases like “when there was doubt… I ate it up and spit it out” seem highly expressive of his cam­paign, and I can’t think of one more fitting for the occasion.

Yes, it indeed was his way, and we’re all better off because of it.

Sin­cerely,

Jack Sinko
Mr. Sinko is a junior studying pol­itics