Senior Gianna Marchese and sophomore Lane Gaudet rehearse for “Kiss me, Kate.” Elena Creed | Courtesy

The curtain will rise at Hillsdale College’s Sage Center for Performing Arts on Wednesday, March 1, for the Tower Players’ opening performance of Cole Porter’s “Kiss Me, Kate! The Musical.”

Director James Brandon said that “Kiss Me, Kate” has become a modern classic, a fun musical that is a mix of typical musical comedy themes and Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew.”

“Cole Porter is an amazing talent, and I think that our students at Hillsdale College do an excellent job in bringing his vision to life.  The show is fun, the tone is light, and the songs are catchy.  With around 50 students on-stage, in the orchestra pit, and backstage, it is one of the Tower Players’ bigger productions,” Brandon said.  

Musical theatre combines acting, singing, and dancing, and according to freshman actor Isaac Johnson, who plays the character of Gremio, this means that the audience’s enjoyment will be threefold, especially in a show like “Kiss Me, Kate.”

Juniors Glynis Gilio and Jonathan Henreckson practice for “Kiss Me, Kate.” Elena Creed | Courtesy

“In this production, you have music and lyrics by Cole Porter, two dynamite performances by Jonathan Henreckson and Glynis Gilio, and jazzy choreography by Phil Simmons. It is safe to say that gangsters, sex, and Shakespeare have never mixed so well as in the Tower Player’s production of ‘Kiss Me, Kate,’” Johnson said.  

Junior starlet Glynis Gilio said she believes this musical is an American classic that has the perfect balance of family friendly fun with Shakespeare’s bawdy humor.

“It is honestly the perfect show for Parent’s Weekend,” Gilio said. 

The Tower Players will perform at 8 p.m. March 1-4 and at 2 p.m. Sunday, March 5.

To reserve free tickets, email the box office at sageboxoffice@hillsdale.edu or call 517-607-2848.