Senior Gianna Marchese and sophomore Lane Gaudet rehearse for “Kiss me, Kate.” Elena Creed | Courtesy

The curtain will rise at Hillsdale College’s Sage Center for Per­forming Arts on Wednesday, March 1, for the Tower Players’ opening per­for­mance of Cole Porter’s “Kiss Me, Kate! The Musical.”

Director James Brandon said that “Kiss Me, Kate” has become a modern classic, a fun musical that is a mix of typical musical comedy themes and Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew.”

“Cole Porter is an amazing talent, and I think that our stu­dents at Hillsdale College do an excellent job in bringing his vision to life.  The show is fun, the tone is light, and the songs are catchy.  With around 50 stu­dents on-stage, in the orchestra pit, and back­stage, it is one of the Tower Players’ bigger pro­duc­tions,” Brandon said.  

Musical theatre com­bines acting, singing, and dancing, and according to freshman actor Isaac Johnson, who plays the char­acter of Gremio, this means that the audience’s enjoyment will be threefold, espe­cially in a show like “Kiss Me, Kate.”

Juniors Glynis Gilio and Jonathan Hen­reckson practice for “Kiss Me, Kate.” Elena Creed | Courtesy

“In this pro­duction, you have music and lyrics by Cole Porter, two dynamite per­for­mances by Jonathan Hen­reckson and Glynis Gilio, and jazzy chore­og­raphy by Phil Simmons. It is safe to say that gang­sters, sex, and Shake­speare have never mixed so well as in the Tower Player’s pro­duction of ‘Kiss Me, Kate,’” Johnson said.  

Junior starlet Glynis Gilio said she believes this musical is an American classic that has the perfect balance of family friendly fun with Shakespeare’s bawdy humor.

“It is hon­estly the perfect show for Parent’s Weekend,” Gilio said. 

The Tower Players will perform at 8 p.m. March 1 – 4 and at 2 p.m. Sunday, March 5.

To reserve free tickets, email the box office at sageboxoffice@hillsdale.edu or call 517 – 607-2848.