The counter of the Jilly Beans coffee shop.
Jim Drews | Courtesy

After serving fresh coffee to the com­munity for more than 10 years, Jilly Beans owner Jill Nichols put her business up for sale last week as she looks to retire with her husband.

“We’re ready to retire,” Nichols said. “It’s been won­derful here, but it’s time. I’m looking forward to it. I want to be a grandma.”

Nichols put Jilly Beans on the market last week and is selling the entire business — including all the fur­niture, existing inventory, and food service equipment — for $89,900. Century 21 Drews realty broker owner Jim Drews, who is in charge of the listing, said there has already been one offer for the 1,000-square-foot coffee and sandwich shop located downtown, but Nichols is looking for backup offers.

“We’ve received and accepted one offer so far,” Drews said. “It came in just a day or two of the listing being put on…The potential buyer is actually a long-time cus­tomer, which is kind of unique that someone who was a fre­quent patron is now inter­ested in making it their own.”

Drews and Nichols said they couldn’t dis­close the name of the pur­chaser.

Drews said part of the reason the price is so low is because it doesn’t include the cost of the building. The new owner of the business would have to pay monthly rent to a property owner in town.

According to Nichols, the decision to put the business up for sale wasn’t prompted by any decrease in sales or financial troubles and said she was simply ready to relax and enjoy her family. Nichols also said she would work closely with whomever pur­chases Jilly Beans to make sure the business doesn’t close during the tran­sition.

“If a new owner wants to come and change the name, that’s fine, but I think I’m going to sell it just as it is,” Nichols said. “Nothing would change on my half. If they want to make changes, that’s fine. Most

people I’ve talked to would leave it as is. It’s estab­lished, and people are familiar with our drinks and sand­wiches.”

Of all the busi­nesses and prop­erties that he has mar­keted, Drews said that Jilly Beans is perhaps one of the most special.

“What makes this so unique is that a potential buyer who may have looked into starting a business like Jilly Beans can now make that happen,” Drews said. “With every­thing that’s included with it, and because it has been estab­lished for 10 years, the business is so much more attractive.”

Jilly Beans was started by Nichols and her business partner Cathy Moore in November 2008 when another coffee shop in the same location, The Gath­ering, closed. The two women imme­di­ately put a bid in on the location and went to work redesigning the building to give it the warm, cozy feel it has today.

Nichols worked at The Gath­ering as a barista a year before it closed, and she has since served up hun­dreds of cups of tea, coffee, and lattes at Jilly Beans. Nichols said that while she’s ready to retire, she’s also going to miss all the mem­ories she’s made in the store.

“I love getting to meet all the cus­tomers,” Nichols said. “You get to find out about all their fam­ilies and see their troubles as well as their happy times. I’ve always had good girls to work with here.”
According to junior Susena Finegan, a weekend employee at Jilly Beans since April 2014, Nichols is one of the best employers she’s worked with. While she remains opti­mistic about a new owner, she said she antic­i­pates some growing pains.

“Jill has been the best boss I’ve ever had,” Finegan said. “She is so sweet and really created a won­derful com­munity between her employees and cus­tomers. I don’t feel ‘out of the job’, because I know that whoever takes over will do their best to con­tinue that com­munity, however, it might be hard for me to adjust. Each boss has their own way of doing things.”

Previous articleSpalding first Kirby Center endowed chair
Next articleStudents attend D.C., Ann Arbor women’s marches
Thomas Novelly
Collegian Editor-in-Chief, Thomas Novelly was born in Novi, Michigan, but was raised in Franklin, Tennessee, making him a self-proclaimed "Yankee gone South." Thomas began writing for The Collegian as a sophomore, and since has served as a reporter, columnist, and Assistant City News Editor. He has also worked for two major publications, interning at the Washington Free Beacon in D.C. and The Tennessean in Nashville. His work has been seen in National publications such as CBS News, National Review Online, Stars And Stripes, and USA Today. Follow him on Twitter @TomNovelly.