Via Wiki­media Commons

In 2008, Barack Obama’s promise of “hope and change” attracted a diverse coalition that won him the White House. Yet the Demo­c­ratic Party’s tactics of appealing to ethnic minority voters to maintain its slowly dimin­ishing majorities turned against them as they alienated other important voting blocs.

As Democrats con­tinued losing down-ballot races, their strategy took a more neg­ative turn. To defend their pro­gressive agenda, they focused more on stirring the neg­ative emo­tions of racial minorities. Rather than turning out more of these voters, though, this strategy mainly cat­e­go­rized Amer­icans into shallow groups pitted against each other, thus inflaming the trib­alist ten­dencies on both sides of the political spectrum.

2016, Obama’s tumul­tuous last year as pres­ident, saw the rise of radical groups such as the Black Lives Matter movement and the alt-right, both of which exhibit nation­al­istic ten­dencies that dis­rupted the political arena. While Black Lives Matter activists attacked cops and blocked highways, ardent Trump sup­porters threatened #Nev­erTrump con­ser­v­a­tives like Erick Erickson and David French during the cam­paign cycle. In addition, the fiery divi­sions of identity pol­itics have incited the racist and anti-semitic ten­dencies of figures and entities of the alt-right such as Milo Yiannopoulos and the infamous Bre­itbart News.

While the anti-immi­gration sen­timent of the alt-right is cer­tainly a problem that the right must deal with, identity pol­itics has not gone as far into the gutter as the neg­ative tactics of the left and the Democrats. Just look at the race for DNC chair. Idaho Demo­c­ratic Party chair Sally Boynton Brown has made a pitch to the Black Lives Matter movement, stating that her job is to “shut other white people down.” The fron­trunner, Min­nesota Con­gressman Keith Ellison, has held shady ties to the Nation of Islam, whose leader, Louis Far­rakhan, has been noto­rious for making anti-Semitic state­ments, including one blaming the 9/11 attacks on “lying, mur­derous Zionist Jews.”

As Democrats increas­ingly pan­dered to the stereo­typical neces­sities of their target voters instead of valuing them as indi­viduals, they ignored other por­tions of the American elec­torate such as the mod­erate voters in the Midwest. The party is now a regional party of arrogant coastal elites con­strained along the west and north Atlantic coast­lines. The party that now caters to fringe social justice war­riors at the uni­ver­sities has aban­doned blue collar workers con­cerned about resur­gence of ter­rorism and dis­il­lu­sioned by Obama’s anemic eco­nomic recovery that they voted for.

The Women’s March is just one of the myriad examples of the Democrats’ growing hos­tility towards God, reli­gious freedom, and bib­lical values. Besides for­bidding pro-life advo­cates, the fem­inist left doubled down on the cul­tural trends of the 1960s sexual rev­o­lution, some protesting half-naked to express their oppo­sition to the new admin­is­tration and the pro-life Con­gress. In addition, the left has also labeled reli­gious con­ser­v­a­tives homo­phobic just because they want to use their First Amendment right to freely exercise a religion that dis­agrees with the left’s views on homo­sex­u­ality. These prac­tices of hys­teria by the Democrats could even­tually make non-white evan­gelical voters ripe targets for Repub­licans in the future.

Though these tactics have worked well against Repub­licans in the short term, they have cer­tainly have become overdone to the point where even some Obama voters get tired of them. The same tactics that won voters to the Obama coalition are coming back to bite the Democrats. They did not appeal to the “for­gotten men and women of America,” which not only include white blue collar mod­erates and evan­gelical con­ser­v­a­tives but also a larger portion of His­panics as well as inner city blacks, whose com­mu­nities have been ruined by failing public schools and increased crime.

With a per­for­mance slightly improved from Mitt Romney’s among blacks and His­panics, Trump managed to assemble the diverse coalition that won him the White House and ulti­mately cemented the Demo­c­ratic Party’s status as the smallest national minority it has ever been since the 1920s.