Historical marker at Lewis Emery Park may be dedicated by October

Home City News Historical marker at Lewis Emery Park may be dedicated by October

More than 160 years ago, Hillsdale soldiers ran drills in preparation to give their lives for Michigan and the Union during the Civil War where today’s residents relax and enjoy the outdoors.

To commemorate their sacrifice, Bill Smith, a native of Hillsdale County, is heading up an effort to establish an historical marker at that site, which is now Lewis Emery Park on State Street.

Many officers in the 18th volunteer infantry of 1,062 men were students of Hillsdale College.

“The 18th had a lot of Hillsdale and local residents,” Linda Moore, Hillsdale College’s public service librarian, said. “Six or so had been Hillsdale College students.”

Not alone in his efforts, Smith had help with research from Moore and volunteers of Mitchell Resource Center to prove that the park, once called Camp Woodbury, played a part in the war.

“We have to send in proof to the Michigan Historical Commission that the regiment’s camp was there so they’re sure that it was an historic place,” Smith said. “It’s a lengthier process than we realized.”

After the marker has been approved by the commission as an historic site, it will take another eight months to create the marker itself. He hopes to dedicate the marker in October.