College Republicans National Convention logo (from crnc.com/Wikipedia)

The College Republicans will still attend the Conservative Political Action Conference this year, despite Student Fed partially funding its request.

“CPAC is going to happen,” College Republicans acting president junior Madeline Domalakes said. “It was stressful, because we took on extra risks that we really didn’t want to take on. They could have tanked the entire trip…but right now we’re treading water.”

Student Fed voted at its Feb. 2 meeting to give the College Republicans only $4,000 of the $5,000 it requested. While the $1,000 difference almost made the trip impossible, club officers spent 10 hours Saturday scrambling to gather funding, they said, and they scraped together enough to bring 42 students to CPAC.

“As of Saturday morning, we called the trip off multiple times in our own meeting,” Director of Events junior Peyton Bowen said. “It was down to every single dollar that we have to our name.”

Although 56 students had signed up for the trip originally, only 42 are going, after the College Republicans raised the price from $205 to $218, Domalakes said. It increased the cost to raise more money independently of Student Fed, but PayPal user fees consumed most of the extra revenue while turning prospective attendees away.

“It turned a lot of kids away. We couldn’t even fill a full bus,”  Director of Events junior Peyton Bowen said. “We were begging people to come to CPAC.”

The College Republicans applied for a $1,000 discount on its CPAC tickets, which partially prompted Student Fed to approve only $4,000, representatives said. But the College Republicans is still waiting to find out whether or not it will receive the discount, which is new this year, Domalakes said.

Either way, the College Republicans will make the trip happen, Domalakes said.

“We’ll figure it out,” she said. “As we have done this entire time, we’ll figure it out. I have absolute trust that, whatever we need to do, we’ll do it.”