Classical school fair offers job and training opportunities

Home Campus Classical school fair offers job and training opportunities
Student speaks with someone from a classical school at the 2016 Classical Student Job Fair in the Searle Center. Joanna Wiseley | Courtesy

Hillsdale College’s career services office is holding its ninth Classical School Job Fair Thursday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Searle Center for graduating seniors interested in teaching and students wanting an introduction to the field.

The Classical School Job Fair will feature 45 schools from 21 states, giving students the chance to interact with institutions from California to Massachusetts. Students can also participate in interviews on Friday. But aside from passing out resumes and visiting with potential employers, students can also apply for two opportunities to get real-world experience: the Mystic Valley Regional Charter School’s Future Teacher Immersion Program or a teacher apprenticeship.

The immersion program will give students the chance to visit Mystic Valley Regional Charter School in Boston, Massachusetts, from May 11-13. The trip includes job shadowing, developing and presenting a sample lesson to school administrators and faculty, and exploring local Boston attractions such as the Freedom Trail. Mystic Valley will completely cover the costs of the trip, from airfare to room and board.

Interim School Director Alex Dan said the the program gives students a taste of the profession while building relationships with students who want to work at a classical school.

“We’ve had nothing but great success bringing on Hillsdale College students,” Dan said.

Dan attributed the harmony between his school and Hillsdale to the “strong philosophical connection” between to the two institutions.

Hillsdale students can also complete an apprenticeship for the first session of summer school from May 15 to June 2. The apprenticeship is three credits, and students can participate in the program at any approved private or charter school such as Hillsdale Academy.

Garrett Holt ’14 obtained his current position as a fifth-grade teacher at Atlanta Classical Academy, after attending the Classical School Job Fair on a whim, he said.

“It was a really incredible time, when I realized this is what I wanted to do,” Holt said.

Director of Career Services Joanna Wiseley said she also encourages students not interested in education to attend and take advantage of marketing and administrative positions that many of the schools attending offer.

“I’m really excited about the opportunity for both students and the schools,” Wiseley said. “It’s going to be good.”