Student speaks with someone from a clas­sical school at the 2016 Clas­sical Student Job Fair in the Searle Center. Joanna Wiseley | Courtesy

Hillsdale College’s career ser­vices office is holding its ninth Clas­sical School Job Fair Thursday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Searle Center for grad­u­ating seniors inter­ested in teaching and stu­dents wanting an intro­duction to the field.

The Clas­sical School Job Fair will feature 45 schools from 21 states, giving stu­dents the chance to interact with insti­tu­tions from Cal­i­fornia to Mass­a­chu­setts. Stu­dents can also par­tic­ipate in inter­views on Friday. But aside from passing out resumes and vis­iting with potential employers, stu­dents can also apply for two oppor­tu­nities to get real-world expe­rience: the Mystic Valley Regional Charter School’s Future Teacher Immersion Program or a teacher appren­ticeship.

The immersion program will give stu­dents the chance to visit Mystic Valley Regional Charter School in Boston, Mass­a­chu­setts, from May 11 – 13. The trip includes job shad­owing, devel­oping and pre­senting a sample lesson to school admin­is­trators and faculty, and exploring local Boston attrac­tions such as the Freedom Trail. Mystic Valley will com­pletely cover the costs of the trip, from airfare to room and board.

Interim School Director Alex Dan said the the program gives stu­dents a taste of the pro­fession while building rela­tion­ships with stu­dents who want to work at a clas­sical school.

“We’ve had nothing but great success bringing on Hillsdale College stu­dents,” Dan said.

Dan attributed the harmony between his school and Hillsdale to the “strong philo­sophical con­nection” between to the two insti­tu­tions.

Hillsdale stu­dents can also com­plete an appren­ticeship for the first session of summer school from May 15 to June 2. The appren­ticeship is three credits, and stu­dents can par­tic­ipate in the program at any approved private or charter school such as Hillsdale Academy.

Garrett Holt ’14 obtained his current position as a fifth-grade teacher at Atlanta Clas­sical Academy, after attending the Clas­sical School Job Fair on a whim, he said.

“It was a really incredible time, when I realized this is what I wanted to do,” Holt said.

Director of Career Ser­vices Joanna Wiseley said she also encourages stu­dents not inter­ested in edu­cation to attend and take advantage of mar­keting and admin­is­trative posi­tions that many of the schools attending offer.

“I’m really excited about the oppor­tunity for both stu­dents and the schools,” Wiseley said. “It’s going to be good.”