CAPA ball set for Feb. 13 at Johnny T’s

Home City News CAPA ball set for Feb. 13 at Johnny T’s
CAPA ball set for Feb. 13 at Johnny T’s

The annual CAPA ball will be held at Johnny T’s Bistro this year.
Photo: Facebook

The Child Abuse Prevention Awareness organization of Hillsdale County will be hosting its second annual Children’s Charity Ball at Johnny T’s Bistro on Feb. 13.

The theme of this year’s ball is ‘safe sleep.’ Keynote speaker Mary Sales will discuss important measures parents should take in order for their infant children to sleep accident-free.

The ball will feature a silent auction, dancing, a photo booth, and a sit-down dinner. CAPA Vice President Megan Stiverson believes they will raise anywhere in between $15,000 and $20,000 from ticket sales and the auction.

“All proceeds raised will go back to the community,” CAPA Executive Director Christie Campbell said. “Some, for example, will be channeled into the ‘Baby Think It Over’ program.”

This program sends simulated babies to students in order to teach them parental responsibilities. CAPA will also donate HALO sleep sacks to Hillsdale Hospital — an outfit for infants which functions as a blanket, but won’t inadvertently cover their faces while they sleep.

CAPA is a non-profit organization that raises awareness for and promotes efforts to prevent child abuse and neglect in the home. Roughly 100 to 150 children in Hillsdale County are placed into foster care each year due to abuse or neglect.

Though CAPA is not government-affiliated, many members of the executive board have backgrounds in law enforcement or child services.

Tickets for the ball are $60 per person, or $100 for a couple. Guests must be 21 or older, and formal attire is required. Doors open at 6 p.m. for cocktail hour and dinner is at 7 p.m. For tickets and more information, call the CAPA office at 517-437-3100.