Buchanan to speak on feminism

Home Campus Buchanan to speak on feminism
Buchanan to speak on feminism
Bay Buchanan. Courtesy.

More than a week after the Women’s March on Washington, Hillsdale College’s chapters of Kappa Kappa Gamma and Young Americans for Freedom are addressing contemporary female leadership.

The sorority and the conservative activism club invited Bay Buchanan, former U.S. treasurer under President Ronald Reagan, to campus. Buchanan is speaking on stereotypes and female leadership in the modern world Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Phillips Auditorium.

“Bay Buchanan is a wonderful example of a strong female leader,” YAF President junior English Hinton said. “This event serves our community in proving what a strong woman is. Buchanan speaks her mind elegantly and persuasively, while being very classy.”

Hinton is a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma, and the sorority’s president, senior Maria Thiesen, said the event is a good opportunity for the chapter to work with others on campus.

“We’re trying to branch out of only offering things for only our house or other Greek houses,” Thiesen said. “Bay Buchanan is a good example of being womanly and true. This is a good opportunity to hear about female leaders in the modern world, which is not something commonly talked about on campus.”

Hinton said there are two extremes women often gravitate toward when it comes to making, or not making, their voices heard. She said that these are the stereotypes women should move beyond.

“In a world where female leadership means explicit costumes or swearing on signs, a lot of people identify with that or they’re too afraid to be identified with that and go the opposite direction,” Hinton said. “Buchanan doesn’t shy away from hard subjects.”