Sophomore wide receiver Trey Brock carries the ball in the Chargers’ matchup against the University of Indianapolis Greyhounds this fall. (Photo: Ben Block / Hillsdale Collegian)

When sophomore wide receiver Trey Brock found his name on the All-American Honorable Mention list in late January, his teammates were the first to congratulate him. 

“I have definitely become more disciplined throughout my time as a Charger, and the people make me better myself,” Brock said. “I have met some of my best friends here, and they probably don’t know it, but they really pushed me to be the best version of myself I can be.”

This past month, Brock joined a rich history of Chargers with national recognition. In 2011, Joe Glendening and Troy Weatherhead earned the same acknowledgement, as well as Andre Holmes, current wide receiver for the Oakland Raiders. 

“The easy comparison for us is to compare him to Andre Holmes… I would say in some aspects of the game Trey is already ahead of him,” Charger head football coach Keith Otterbein said. During the 2016 season, Brock broke the Hillsdale record for most 100 yard receiving games in a season. This record formerly belonged to Holmes. 

Otterbein said it’s rare for young players like Brock to receive such attention. 

“You don’t get athletes having the limelight so young,” Otterbein said. “His post season recognition is well deserved.”

This is evident in Trey’s cumulative record this past season, totaling 77 receptions for 1,322 yards and scoring 10 touchdowns. With two seasons of collegiate play ahead of him, he is already closing in on other school records, having the second-most yards in a season in Charger history. 

In addition to his All-American Honorable Mention, Brock received the 2016 Charger Football MVP award in November and was named first team All-GLIAC in December. Not only does Brock stand out in the GLIAC rankings, he also ranks third in Division II for receiving yards per game.

Otterbein said Brock’s national recognition and accomplishments through his All-American Honorable Mention shine light on Hillsdale’s football program. 

“It’s impressive because you see larger schools like Grand Valley and Ferris State listed, but he is leading the conference in receiving,” Otterbein said. 

Brock has no shortage of aspirations and these honors have undoubtedly motivated him for upcoming seasons.

“As a team, we just need to set the bar high and understand how good we are,” Brock said. “It felt great to be recognized as an honorable mention All-American, but it mainly made me want to work harder in order to be on the All-American first team next year.”