Sophomore wide receiver Trey Brock carries the ball in the Chargers’ matchup against the Uni­versity of Indi­anapolis Grey­hounds this fall. (Photo: Ben Block / Hillsdale Col­legian)

When sophomore wide receiver Trey Brock found his name on the All-American Hon­orable Mention list in late January, his team­mates were the first to con­grat­ulate him. 

“I have def­i­nitely become more dis­ci­plined throughout my time as a Charger, and the people make me better myself,” Brock said. “I have met some of my best friends here, and they probably don’t know it, but they really pushed me to be the best version of myself I can be.”

This past month, Brock joined a rich history of Chargers with national recog­nition. In 2011, Joe Glen­dening and Troy Weath­erhead earned the same acknowl­edgement, as well as Andre Holmes, current wide receiver for the Oakland Raiders. 

“The easy com­parison for us is to compare him to Andre Holmes… I would say in some aspects of the game Trey is already ahead of him,” Charger head football coach Keith Otterbein said. During the 2016 season, Brock broke the Hillsdale record for most 100 yard receiving games in a season. This record for­merly belonged to Holmes. 

Otterbein said it’s rare for young players like Brock to receive such attention. 

“You don’t get ath­letes having the lime­light so young,” Otterbein said. “His post season recog­nition is well deserved.”

This is evident in Trey’s cumu­lative record this past season, totaling 77 recep­tions for 1,322 yards and scoring 10 touch­downs. With two seasons of col­le­giate play ahead of him, he is already closing in on other school records, having the second-most yards in a season in Charger history. 

In addition to his All-American Hon­orable Mention, Brock received the 2016 Charger Football MVP award in November and was named first team All-GLIAC in December. Not only does Brock stand out in the GLIAC rankings, he also ranks third in Division II for receiving yards per game.

Otterbein said Brock’s national recog­nition and accom­plish­ments through his All-American Hon­orable Mention shine light on Hillsdale’s football program. 

“It’s impressive because you see larger schools like Grand Valley and Ferris State listed, but he is leading the con­ference in receiving,” Otterbein said. 

Brock has no shortage of aspi­ra­tions and these honors have undoubtedly moti­vated him for upcoming seasons.

“As a team, we just need to set the bar high and under­stand how good we are,” Brock said. “It felt great to be rec­og­nized as an hon­orable mention All-American, but it mainly made me want to work harder in order to be on the All-American first team next year.”