Nigel Farage. Gage Skidmore | Flickr

Nigel Farage, the former leader of the U.K. Inde­pen­dence Party and the cam­paign for Britain to leave the European Union, will speak on the growing inter­na­tional pop­ulist movement Monday at Hillsdale College.

“Mr. Farage is a great champion of inde­pen­dence and has fought the cen­tralized bureau­cratic state for a long time,” Matt Bell, director of pro­grams for external affairs, said in an email.  “In that sense, he defends the same liberty, albeit in a dif­ferent geo­graphic location, that Hillsdale seeks to defend.”

During his first visit to Hillsdale, Farage will deliver a talk titled “The Sig­nif­i­cance of Brexit and the Trump Victory” at 8 p.m. in the Searle Center for the college’s Churchill Con­ference, which is cen­tered around the exhi­bition of the Churchill paintings and mem­o­ra­bilia in the Daughtrey Gallery.

Hillsdale College Pres­ident Larry Arnn said he is per­sonally inter­ested in the con­nection between former Prime Min­ister Winston Churchill and the European Union.

“Churchill helped to found the EU. Because of that, he was used exten­sively by the Remain cam­paign,” Arnn said in an email. “In several things I read, they did not make plain that Churchill did not propose that Britain enter the EU, or the Common Market, nor did he imagine it having the scope it achieved.”

Assistant Pro­fessor of Pol­itics John Grant agreed, saying Churchill would not have opposed rela­tion­ships with other coun­tries but would dis­agree with the role and size of the EU today.

“The EU is hostile to Europe,” Grant said. “Brussels [the head­quarters of the EU], like Wash­ington, D.C., is not there to serve the people it rep­re­sents.”

Some have linked the pop­ulist rev­o­lu­tions central to Pres­ident Donald Trump’s victory and Britain’s decision to leave the EU, espe­cially because of Trump and Farage’s close rela­tionship.

During the 2016 U.S. pres­i­dential race and since Trump’s election, Farage has voiced support for Trump, saying he would have voted for Trump, if he were a U.S. citizen. After Trump’s victory, Farage was the first British politician to visit Trump in his eponymous New York City tower, and Trump spoke in support of Farage becoming the British ambas­sador to the U.S., after his election.

“I think he’s a great guy, has very inter­esting thoughts, and seems like a man of action, and that’s what we need,” said freshman George Roberts, who is from Portsmouth, England. “We needed a little kick from some­where, and Farage seemed to give that.”

Roberts said he voted to leave the EU, despite being split on the issue. He said he paid attention to both sides of the cam­paign and ulti­mately made his decision based on immi­gration.

“The main issue I was sucked into is the immi­gration fiasco,” Roberts said. “I saw all the troubles Germany was having, France was having, and I didn’t want that coming into England.”

Grant said he has already seen steps taken toward a greater rela­tionship between England and the U.S. under Trump, referring to Trump’s decision to return the bust of Churchill to the Oval Office and his warm meeting with Prime Min­ister Theresa May.

Although Arnn said he does not per­sonally know Farage, he looks forward to hearing his thoughts.

“He is an important figure in some­thing hap­pening in much of Europe,” Arnn said. “I am inter­ested to meet him, and I expect others are, too.”