Pres­ident Larry Arnn speaks at the 2016 com­mencement cer­emony. | Col­legian

Larry Arnn, pres­ident of Hillsdale College, will speak on con­ser­vatism and the nation’s founding prin­ciples at the Con­ser­v­ative Political Action Con­ference on Feb. 22.

Arnn will be one of many influ­ential con­ser­v­ative thinkers speaking at the annual con­ference. He is joining Sen. Ted Cruz, R‑Texas; Wis­consin Gov. Scott Walker; Vice Pres­ident Mike Pence; and many others over the course of three days.

Matthew Spalding, asso­ciate vice pres­ident and dean of edu­ca­tional pro­grams at the Allan P. Kirby Jr. Center for Con­sti­tu­tional Studies and Cit­i­zenship, was also asked to speak at CPAC and will address the con­ference on Feb. 23. In 2013, Spalding par­tic­i­pated in a CPAC panel dis­cussion called “Can Social Con­ser­v­a­tives and Lib­er­tarians Ever Get Along?”

Spalding said he received the invi­tation from the American Con­ser­v­ative Union to speak at the con­ference.

CPAC is the largest annual con­ser­v­ative con­ference. According to sophomore Kolbe Conger, an officer for Hillsdale College Repub­licans, it serves to rally con­ser­v­a­tives across the nation and encourage them to be vocal.

Hillsdale College Repub­licans takes stu­dents to the con­ference every year. Last year, 130 stu­dents attended the CPAC trip, making Hillsdale the largest orga­nized group in atten­dance, according to junior Madeline Doma­lakes, acting pres­ident of College Repub­licans.

“We are thrilled he’s speaking,” Doma­lakes said. “We are very proud the pres­ident of Hillsdale will be fol­lowing stu­dents to CPAC.”

Arnn said he sees this as both a teaching and learning oppor­tunity and hopes to high­light con­ser­vatism and its rela­tionship to the prin­ciples of the country in his speech. He hopes those who attend CPAC and hear his speech will remember why they must restore the Con­sti­tution.

“One of the Constitution’s great fea­tures is that it under­stands that edu­cation and such things happen in the minds and hearts of those who want them, and they and those near them should control all such things, espe­cially edu­cation,” Arnn said in an email.

Doma­lakes said she hopes Arnn will touch on what Pres­ident Donald Trump’s admin­is­tration can do to restore con­sti­tu­tional prin­ciples.

“I hope he lays out a tem­plate for how this admin­is­tration can follow the Con­sti­tution,” she said. “That’s what we’ve been missing for the past eight years.”

Doma­lakes said Arnn is the perfect voice to bring back true con­ser­vatism, since he’s one of the foremost intel­lectual minds in the con­ser­v­ative circle.

“Dr. Arnn will truly educate us on what the Con­sti­tution should look like in action,” she said.

Conger said Arnn’s speech will give legit­imacy to the college and the mission of CPAC.

“He will bring the aca­demic and intel­lectual side of con­ser­vatism,” he said.

Arnn said he doesn’t believe his speech will bring the college more attention. Regardless, Doma­lakes and Conger said they believe Arnn is the perfect rep­re­sen­tative for the college and its mission.

“We couldn’t be happier to have Dr. Arnn showcase his wisdom on con­sti­tu­tion­alism,” Conger said, “espe­cially on how it relates to con­ser­vatism today.”