Arnn reacts to historic DeVos appointment

Home News Arnn reacts to historic DeVos appointment
Betsy DeVos | Wikimedia

Betsy DeVos, a billionaire education philanthropist with ties to Hillsdale College, was appointed secretary of education Tuesday, after Vice President Mike Pence broke a tie in the Senate.

“I think it is obvious what the vote means: Things are very partisan in Washington,” President Larry Arnn said in an email.

DeVos’ approval was the first time in history the vice president decided a Cabinet member’s appointment.

In November, sources confirmed to The Collegian that Arnn was among the candidates for education secretary.

“I do not know if I would have been more or less controversial,” Arnn said. “Mother Theresa would be less controversial, but in this atmosphere, she would have to be careful what she said.”

DeVos has numerous connections to Hillsdale. Most notably, Richard DeVos, Betsy DeVos’ father-in-law, co-founded Amway with Jay Van Andel. In 2013, Hillsdale named its graduate school after Van Andel’s son, Steve ’78, after he donated to graduate school scholarships and operations.

Professor of Politics Thomas West said Trump’s appointment fulfill his inauguration promise of giving power back to the people.

“The politicians are reacting in a predictable way,” West said. “This is the reality of the Trump phenomenon. It’s a fight against the establishment.”