Wiki­media Commons

Hillsdale Academy is offering a Johnny T’s meal to college stu­dents for only $5.

The private school is holding a Mediter­ranean feast and silent auction to raise money for its seniors’ and juniors’ trip to Greece and Italy at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 4 in Hillsdale Academy’s Commons.

Rick Tropiano, owner of Johnny T’s, accom­panied his son on the trip two years ago and is pro­viding the food for the dinner.

The menu includes Greek gyros, spaghetti and meat­balls, stuffed shells, homemade bread, and salad. Homemade gelato and Italian ice will top off the meal. Tropiano will also make Sicilian bread soup that he and Hillsdale College Provost David Whalen had together in Italy and have since learned to replicate.

“Dr. Whalen worked really hard to figure it out,” said Dedra Birzer, a sub­stitute teacher at the academy.

The meal costs $5 for children 6 – 11 and college stu­dents and $7 for ages 12 and up. Raffle tickets are $10. First prize is $1,000, second prize is a tablet com­puter, and third prize is tickets to a Uni­versity of Michigan home football game.

In its biggest trip ever, Hillsdale Academy, led by Head­master Kenneth Calvert, is taking 44 juniors and senior to the ancient lands. With pro­ceeds from the dinner, served from 5:30 – 7 p.m., com­bined with the silent auction, the academy hopes to raise $1,000 toward each student’s travel costs, Birzer said.

“This trip is a cap­stone of every­thing they’ve done,” she said. “Some of these kids have been together since kinder­garten.”