The society’s logo. Facebook.

After fundraising last week for 1,844 minutes — about 30 hours — the 1844 Society raised $2,200 from 140 par­tic­i­pants.

The society’s first fundraising cam­paign, which started Feb. 16 at noon and ended Friday at 6 p.m., col­lected money to go toward Ransom Dunn Schol­ar­ships for seniors with financial need and attracted the interest of hun­dreds of stu­dents, said Colleen McGinness, director of alumni engagement and the 1844 Society. The society is waiting until the end of the semester to determine how many schol­ar­ships it can provide to seniors next year, she said.

“When much has been given, we have a respon­si­bility to give of our­selves — in whatever capacity we can — in grat­itude, to pay it forward,” McGinness said in an email. “We saw that last Thursday and Friday, and it was awesome.”

A donation from Hillsdale alumni inspired the event, McGinness said.

“The Hough Foun­dation, named for alumna Bonnie and her husband David, pledged $100,000 for the entire year to match and chal­lenge alumni and student giving from the pre­vious year,” she said. “Their pledge and chal­lenge matched student gifts dollar for dollar above what the stu­dents gave last year, if any.”

The 1,844 Minutes cam­paign was not a chal­lenge for stu­dents to match the Hough Foundation’s donation but rather a way for stu­dents to donate money beyond what had already been given, McGinness said.

Previous articleScience & Ethics Interview with Dr. Laura Niklason
Next articleStrickland logging out this summer
Nolan Ryan
Nolan Ryan is a junior from northern Michigan, studying English and journalism. He is this year's News Editor at the Collegian, as well as a student writer with the marketing department. Last summer, he interned with the editorial and news sections of the Detroit News. You can find him reading good poetry and trying desperately to be better at appreciating art. Email: nryan1@hillsdale.edu | Twitter: @NolanRyan76