The society’s logo. Facebook.

After fundraising last week for 1,844 minutes — about 30 hours — the 1844 Society raised $2,200 from 140 par­tic­i­pants.

The society’s first fundraising cam­paign, which started Feb. 16 at noon and ended Friday at 6 p.m., col­lected money to go toward Ransom Dunn Schol­ar­ships for seniors with financial need and attracted the interest of hun­dreds of stu­dents, said Colleen McGinness, director of alumni engagement and the 1844 Society. The society is waiting until the end of the semester to determine how many schol­ar­ships it can provide to seniors next year, she said.

“When much has been given, we have a respon­si­bility to give of our­selves — in whatever capacity we can — in grat­itude, to pay it forward,” McGinness said in an email. “We saw that last Thursday and Friday, and it was awesome.”

A donation from Hillsdale alumni inspired the event, McGinness said.

“The Hough Foun­dation, named for alumna Bonnie and her husband David, pledged $100,000 for the entire year to match and chal­lenge alumni and student giving from the pre­vious year,” she said. “Their pledge and chal­lenge matched student gifts dollar for dollar above what the stu­dents gave last year, if any.”

The 1,844 Minutes cam­paign was not a chal­lenge for stu­dents to match the Hough Foundation’s donation but rather a way for stu­dents to donate money beyond what had already been given, McGinness said.