Women’s March on Wash­ington par­tic­i­pants carry signs to demon­strate against abortion restric­tions, climate change, and sexual assault. Madeline Fry | Col­legian

Wash­ington, D.C. — More than 500,000 people gathered on Capitol Hill Sat­urday to voice their con­cerns over women’s rights. The Women’s March on Wash­ington, which took place in D.C. and dozens of other com­mu­nities across the United States, con­tained men and women demon­strating against a slew of issues, including abortion restric­tions, climate change, and sexual assault.

Hun­dreds of women in pink hats gathered on the National Mall to sign a giant copy of the Con­sti­tution. The hats, knit caps with ears on each side, ref­er­enced Pres­ident Donald Trump’s com­ments about sex­ually harassing women. Signs ranged from fem­inist phrases, like “Girl power,” to proverbs: “A woman’s place is in the rev­o­lution.” Other signs ref­er­enced the Trump admin­is­tration more gen­erally, decrying Trump’s ties to Russia or declaring that America is already great. Most pro­testers were women of all ages, though many brought their children or were men.

Bojan Furlan and Eva Mueller from New York had planned on joining the march since they first heard about it. Furlan said they hoped the march would attract more people than Trump’s inau­gu­ration on the mall Sunday. An esti­mated 160,000 people attended Trump’s swearing in.

Mueller, a German native, said the United States is not as pro­gressive as her home country, and she said she is con­cerned about dimin­ishing women’s rights.

“The clock is being turned back again,” she said.

Their friend — Uta Brauser, who was pro­viding free face painting of the female gender symbol for marchers — also held up a card­board sign of a uterus, saying it was a symbol for women’s power.

“We as women have power over life,” Brauser said. “We say yes or no to life, and we should decide our pol­itics.”

Junior Macy Mount, who is par­tic­i­pating in the Wash­ington-Hillsdale Internship Program this semester, attended the march but did not par­tic­ipate.

“As I observed all the men, women, and children who were par­tic­i­pating in the march, I was trying to figure out what their mission was,” Mount said. “There was no cohesive message. I think the vul­garity of their lan­guage made more of a statement than any­thing else did.”

Other stu­dents attended marches in Michigan to show their support. Seniors Lauren Melcher and Rachael Reynolds joined a sister march in Ann Arbor.

“What I saw at the march was thou­sands of other women and men in a peaceful demon­stration, and it proved to me that there was more to it than what I was seeing in my little bubble in Hillsdale,” Reynolds said. “It truly was amazing seeing and hearing all of the pos­itive and encour­aging thoughts coming alive as we marched. I am prouder than ever to be a woman.”