Student Fed members are inducted. Emily Blatter | Col­legian

Fifteen new members of Hillsdale’s Student Fed­er­ation were sworn in Jan. 19 at the gov­erning body’s first meeting of the semester.

Almost the entire fed­er­ation con­sists of new members. Aside from the four officers, only two 2016 rep­re­sen­ta­tives returned: sophomore Thomas Ryskamp and junior John Gage.

Student Fed also intro­duced its new faculty adviser, Assistant Director of Student Activ­ities Ashlyn Landherr, who is replacing Student Activ­ities Director Anthony Manno.

“I want to encourage you all to tran­scend your position,” Landherr told the fed­er­ation. “Don’t just do what’s asked of you; go above and beyond. Always remember that you’re stu­dents serving stu­dents.”

The fed­er­ation also selected the chairmen and members of its eight com­mittees.

Sophomore Ross Hatley is Student Fed’s trea­surer and will serve as the Finance Committee’s chairman in accor­dance with the federation’s con­sti­tution. The committee’s six members are the first to hear funding requests from campus and decides whether to rec­ommend full, partial, or no funding to the full body.

“I’m looking forward to helping develop the won­derful club pro­posals that make Hillsdale’s student life so vibrant,” Hatley said.

Student Fed­er­ation Vice Pres­ident junior Maria Theisen will chair both the Phil­an­thropy Com­mittee and Elec­tions Com­mittee, as also required by the Student Fed con­sti­tution.

“For Phil­an­thropy Com­mittee, my goal as chairman is to clarify this committee’s role and hold two events per semester,” Theisen said. “In regards to elec­tions, I hope to streamline the process a bit more, and encourage a larger portion of campus to vote.”

The Rules Com­mittee examines the Student Fed­er­ation con­sti­tution and bylaws to ensure that the fed­er­ation follows proper pro­cedure. Freshman Rep. Matthew Clark is its chairman.

“As chairman of the com­mittee, I will con­tinue to hold the members of the fed­er­ation accountable to the rules we establish for our­selves,” Clark said.

The Club Over­sight Com­mittee reg­u­lates clubs cur­rently active on campus and inves­ti­gates pro­posed new clubs.  Ryskamp, the committee’s chairman, said he hopes to compile a list of all of the college’s active clubs and encourage a diverse and vibrant student com­munity.

Student Fed­er­ation Pres­ident sophomore Andres Torres is respon­sible for over­seeing all of the com­mittees. He said he hopes to make Student Fed more effi­cient and trans­parent by pub­lishing meeting agendas earlier, enabling stu­dents to know ahead of time which funding requests Student Fed will con­sider at each meeting.

Student Fed has eight com­mittees: the Pub­li­ca­tions Com­mittee, Finance Com­mittee, Club Over­sight Com­mittee, Rules Com­mittee, Pro­fessor of the Month Com­mittee, Election Com­mittee, Campus Improve­ments Com­mittee and Phil­an­thropy Com­mittee. Each com­mittee has a chairman and a des­ig­nated number of members, which varies from com­mittee to com­mittee.

The Pub­li­ca­tions Com­mittee handles the college’s written pub­li­ca­tions: The Col­legian, the Winona yearbook and the Tower Light. Sophomore Natalie Meckel will be pub­li­ca­tions chairman this year, assisted by six com­mittee members: Ryskamp, Gage, Delta Sigma Phi Rep­re­sen­tative sophomore Mitch Albert and freshman Lukas Swenson, Matthew Mont­gomery, and Sigma Chi Rep­re­sen­tative freshman Jackson Frerichs.

The Finance Com­mittee con­sists of five members and the chairman, which is Hatley. Clubs requesting funding from Student Fed must first appear before the Finance Com­mittee for a pre­lim­inary hearing. The com­mittee then decides whether to rec­ommend full, partial or no funding when the Fed­er­ation meets to discuss it. Although the fed­er­ation may override the committee’s rec­om­men­dation, it rarely does so.

The Finance Com­mittee will consist of Delta Tau Delta Rep­re­sen­tative sophomore Adam Cieply, Kappa Kappa Gamma Rep­re­sen­tative sophomore Jenna Biggs, junior Brendan Noble, and freshmen Samuel Musser and Charles Adams.

Student Fed­er­ation Vice Pres­ident junior Maria Theisen will chair both the Phil­an­thropy Com­mittee and Elec­tions Com­mittee, as required by the Student Fed con­sti­tution. She will be assisted on the Phil­an­thropy Com­mittee by members Adams, Orlaski, Haw­ersaat, and Meckel. The Elec­tions Com­mittee has not yet been deter­mined.

The Rules Com­mittee examines the Student Fed­er­ation Con­sti­tution and bylaws to ensure that the fed­er­ation follows proper pro­cedure. Clark will serve as chair for 2017, assisted by Ryskamp, Noble, and Swenson.

The Club Over­sight Com­mittee reg­u­lates clubs cur­rently active on campus and inves­ti­gates pro­posed new clubs. Ryskamp will chair the com­mittee, assisted by com­mittee members Gage, Meckel, Mont­gomery, and Clark.

The Campus Improve­ments Com­mittee, chaired by Cieply, will con­sider propo­si­tions to improve student life throughout the year. Mont­gomery, Ryskamp, Clark, Noble, and junior Gina Haw­ersaat will serve as com­mittee members.

The Pro­fessor of the Month Com­mittee rec­og­nizes one faculty member each month for a pro­fes­sional achievement or out­standing service to the student body. Biggs will chair the com­mittee, assisted by Adams, Meckel, Haw­ersaat, and Alpha Tau Omega Rep­re­sen­tative junior Josh Orlaski.