Matthew Spalding — asso­ciate vice pres­ident and director of the Allan P. Kirby Center Jr. for Con­sti­tu­tional Studies and Cit­i­zenship in Wash­ington, D.C. — tes­tifies before Con­gress Sept. 17, 2015, on the Dodd-Frank Act. Col­legian

Matthew Spalding, asso­ciate vice pres­ident and director of the Allan P. Kirby Jr. Center for Con­sti­tu­tional Studies and Cit­i­zenship in Wash­ington, D.C., was named the center’s first endowed chair this month.

Hillsdale College Provost David Whalen said the college rec­og­nized Spalding with the position of Allan P. Kirby Jr. endowed chair for his excel­lence as a public face of the college in the capital.

“The Kirby Center is Hillsdale’s campus in Wash­ington, and as such, teaching is its primary purpose. The endowed chair is designed to promote and facil­itate this central function,” Whalen said. “Dr. Spalding’s expe­rience, keen under­standing, and ded­i­cation equip him per­fectly for his role at the Kirby Center and to be its first endowed chair.”

Spalding thanked Kirby for his support of the college in a news release.

“The work of sup­porting and com­mu­ni­cating the ideas and pur­poses of con­sti­tu­tional self-gov­ernment is needed now more than ever, throughout our country but espe­cially in the nation’s capital,” Spalding said. “This endowment will allow Hillsdale to have that voice per­ma­nently.”

Senior Jacob Thackston, a former student in the Wash­ington-Hillsdale Internship Program, said although he never had Spalding as a pro­fessor, the Kirby Center director always reached out to help him make deci­sions about his future.

“He intro­duced me to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas at daily mass once,” he said. “It was just a casual thing — the two struck up a con­ver­sation after mass and he said, ‘Hey, here’s one of my stu­dents.’”

Junior Noah Weinrich, a current WHIP student, said he appre­ciates the way Spalding con­ducts his classroom.

“I like the fact that he really chal­lenges his stu­dents in class,” he said. “He’s the most socratic pro­fessor I’ve had — he tries to make us come to con­clu­sions our­selves.”

Weinrich also said although he has not known Spalding as a pro­fessor for very long, he rec­og­nizes his impor­tance to the college.

“Dr. Spalding bridges the gap between the the­o­retical world of Hillsdale and the down and dirty world of D.C.,” he said.

Previous articleCouncil approves new fire truck purchase
Next articleJilly Beans up for sale
Nic Rowan
Nic Rowan is a senior from Washington, DC. He serves as City News Editor. In addition to the Collegian, his work has appeared in The Washington Free Beacon, National Review Online, The Federalist, Acculturated, and Arc Digital. Daft Punk is playing at his house. email: nrowan@hillsdale.edu | twitter: @NicXTempore