The new members of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. Maria Theisen | Courtesy

Hillsdale College’s sorority houses added nearly 60 women during formal spring recruitment earlier this month.

Starting Jan. 14, formal recruitment of new members began with open houses in all three dorms and con­tinued for three days. Chi Omega wel­comed 16 new members, Kappa Kappa Gamma greeted 20, and Pi Beta Phi received 22 new members.

“The Greek system is strong; it is doing well,” Asso­ciate Dean of Women Rebekah Dell said. “This is a tes­tament to three healthy houses.”

After formal recruitment ended, the soror­ities gained more members by con­tinuous open bids, or COBs, intended to help average out the size of the houses by extending bids to women who have expressed interest in joining a house but did not attend formal recruitment, Dell said. Chi Omega extended four COBs, Kappa Kappa Gamma offered one COB, and Pi Beta Phi gave out two COBs. Dell said the bids could con­tinue indef­i­nitely, but they will probably be accepted or rejected by Friday.

Pres­ident of Kappa Kappa Gamma Maria Theisen said she was sur­prised to see the general interest in the Greek system as a whole, a pos­sible effect of the coor­di­nation between the three soror­ities in the fall home­coming com­pe­ti­tions, she said.

“This year in par­ticular was really great, because of how many girls were inter­ested in joining the system rather than indi­vidual houses,” Thiesen said. “From the con­ver­sa­tions that were had, the girls are inter­ested in making the Greek system better.”

Dell said the Greek system creates a com­munity of diverse interests.

“Soror­ities are uni­fying factors,” Dell said. “They bring 83 women from all over campus into one gravy, a mini-picture of the whole campus in one house.”

Hannah Schultz, a freshman Pi Phi pledge, said she found that aspect appealing.

“I really liked the sis­terhood aspects and lifelong con­nec­tions that form as result,” she said.

Senior Catharine Pearsall, who joined Chi Omega her sophomore year, said sorority sisters become family.

“I see a lot of girls looking for a com­munity,” she said. “A lot of the girls are far from home, so a lot of them are excited about joining.”