Oren earns running sponsorship with Oiselle

Home Charger Cross Country Oren earns running sponsorship with Oiselle
Hillsdale alumna Emily Oren, nine-time NCAA division II national champion, earned a running sponsorship with Oiselle. (Photo: Oiselle / Courtesy)

Less than a year after the end of her successful collegiate running career, Emily Oren ‘16 has earned her first professional sponsorship. 

The nine-time NCAA division II national champion signed with women’s active-wear company Oiselle in December, officially becoming a member of its team on Jan. 1. Oren is the third Hillsdale runner to be sponsored in recent history, with alumna Amanda Eccleston ‘13 being sponsored by Brooks running wear and alumna Kayla Caldwell ‘13 being sponsored by pole vault company Ust Essx. 

Oren said she is excited about the sponsorship and that earning it has done a lot to validate her decision to run post-collegiately.

“To be sponsored by a company like Oiselle that seeks to empower women is great,” Oren said. “I’m happy to have something to help me through this next stage of my running career and help me take off.”

As a part of her sponsorship, Oiselle will send Oren clothes to train and race in, as well as pay for her to travel to and enter meets. In return, Oren will wear Oiselle gear exclusively during competition and training, give feedback on the clothes they send her, and will promote the brand on social media.

“I get a lot of free clothes, which is awesome,” she said. “It’s just women’s active wear, which is kinda nice, because then I can wear any shoes I want.”

Oren doesn’t receive any stipends from the company and plans to continue working in the college’s admissions office for the time being, but said her ultimate goal is to be able to support herself completely through running.

Another part of Oren’s sponsorship is her inclusion in the company’s Haute Volée Team, which includes up-and-coming female runners from throughout the country. Oren said she hasn’t spoken at length with any of her new teammates yet, but said she’s raced against a lot of them over the past couple of years.

Oren said her goal this season is to make the US Indoor Track and Field Championship in the 3K. And she doesn’t only want to make it to the meet, she wants to make it to the final in her race.

“I feel like I need to compete against these women who I’ve idolized,” Oren said.

Oren will open up her indoor season with a mile this Friday at the Gladstein Invitational in Bloomington, Indiana.