On Jan. 21, half a million people flooded the streets of Wash­ington to par­tic­ipate in the Women’s March on Wash­ington to advocate for, as one not-so-elo­quent marcher  put it, “just in general, women’s rights.”

The March was used as a demon­stration for a laundry list of con­cerns, some legit­imate and some abstract and vague to the point of mean­ingless, all united by a strong belief in uni­versal human rights.  The March orga­nizers state in their “Guiding Vision and Def­i­n­ition of Prin­ciples” that “human rights” are the “basic and original tenet from which all our values stem.”

Marchers and media alike paint the protest as though it was the dawn of the fight for human rights. Any facet of the March that can be used to high­light the “never before seen” turnout is being exploited, including the strain put on the D.C. mobile net­works.

While the media was busy drooling over cell phone cov­erage, they failed to cover the irony under­mining the integrity of the Women’s March. And where irony wasn’t punching holes in the fabric of the marchers’ brand new pink cro­cheted hats, tragedy was making up for it.

While the Marchers did seek to advance a variety of causes, the most con­sistent was the demand for abortion and birth control. Despite their claims of inclu­sivity, the March excluded a number of pro-life groups because, as former pres­i­dential can­didate Carly Fiorina said, “appar­ently they don’t believe in a right to choose what [women are] going to believe.”

The March’s over­whelming and wide­spread support for abortion com­pletely under­mines its “moral imper­ative.” Science proves again and again that human life begins at con­ception. Abortion advo­cates have even con­ceded the point. So why are the unborn being excluded from what claims to be the most inclusive demon­stration in history? Not only are they being excluded, but Marchers danced on their graves, in a tragic and blatant dis­regard for the innocent. Women no longer want “safe, rare and legal” abor­tions, they want babies ripped from the womb just to show they can, and they want you to pay for it. The Women’s March com­pletely and utterly failed to promote human rights, they suc­ceeded only in pro­moting their own self-serving agenda.

Laughably, Pastor Sylvia Baker-Noren of Tomp­kinsville, Kentucky’s First United Methodist Church told reporters that the women marching “want to be able to remember that all persons have human rights. All persons… regardless of their sit­u­ation.”

It is because of my firm con­viction in these prin­ciples that I have utter dis­regard and bor­derline disgust for the Women’s March, which fails to accom­plish its even most basic objec­tives: to promote human dignity.

I instead choose to turn my effort and attention to the March for Life, taking place this Friday in Wash­ington, D.C. This year marks the 43rd year of demon­stration in support of basic human rights at the March for Life, which draws just as many, if not more, marchers. The peaceful protest set a record in 2013, with 650,000 people in atten­dance. Hillsdale College’s Stu­dents for Life club alone will be bussing in an incredible 97 stu­dents this year.

The March for Life is the true cry for human rights. The pro-life message is incredible: choosing life is the ultimate extension of love, charity, and self­lessness. The rejection of abortion means that women must put their own position and feelings aside and think of someone else, someone who is innocent and at their com­plete mercy. Is there any higher expression of love? Yet, Women’s Marchers tromped around, toting “Love Trumps Hate” posters in one hand and “Abortion for All” in the other. Not to mention that life is an actual human right, whereas abortion is a human right only in the imag­i­nation of the very cre­ative. You simply do not have the right to take away someone else’s human right to life.

Thank­fully, us women have the oppor­tunity to walk in the March for Life this Friday, sup­porting actual human rights and showing true love; demon­strating that women do have the power to change the world for our daughters — and without wearing vul­gar­ities on our heads.

Ms. Russo is a sophomore studying American Studies and is the Event Coor­di­nator for Stu­dents for Life.