McCourry plays the trumpet at a Hillcats per­for­mance | Courtesy

“Bossa nova,” the genre of jazz music that began and developed in 1950s Brazil, means “new trend.” Stu­dents will be able to hear some of this new music Friday as the Howard Music Department presents the Brazilian Avatar Faculty Recital at 8 p.m. in Markel Audi­torium.

Playing both clas­sical and jazz music, Director of Jazz Ensembles Chris McCourry will perform on the trumpet. The recital will also include per­for­mances from other faculty of the music department: Piano Pro­fessor Brad Blackham; Guitar Pro­fessor Dan Palmer; and Jazz Bass Pro­fessor Hank Horton.

McCourry said the recital will include mostly Brazilian music with the exception of Steve Rouse’s “The Avatar.”

“This is my yearly solo recital,” he said. “I chose Brazilian music because I was unfa­miliar with it and want to learn more about it.”

McCourry encourages stu­dents to attend the event “to [enrich] their life expe­ri­ences.” The South American theme is an exciting way to begin this semester’s musical events. The recital will be a great way to appre­ciate this music that is not often per­formed in this area and perhaps to learn some­thing new.

“Even though Hillsdale College is very small, its music faculty is com­posed of people who are both amazing teachers and musi­cians, making this recital some­thing not to be missed,” said freshman Christopher Schei­thauer, a student of McCourry. “The program for this recital is very unique. Not many people think about South American music in America even though the con­tinent has a rich musical culture, and we rarely get to hear it in this setting. This is a great event to get a taste of some­thing new and exciting.”

The recital will feature music from several Brazilian com­posers and an American com­poser, Zequinha de Abreu, a 20th-century com­poser known for his song “Tico-Tico no Fubá.” Jose

Ursicino da Silva is a Brazilian com­poser, whose works include “Con­certino para Trompete”; Antonio Carlos Jobim was a Grammy Award-winning com­poser and singer who won the first Best Album Grammy Award for a jazz album in 1965; Jobim was a major com­ponent of the bossa nova genre of Brazilian music; Steve Rouse is a Rome Prize-winning American clas­sical com­poser whose best-known works include “The Avatar.”

This event fea­tures more instru­ments than would be expected from a solo recital,” Schei­thauer said. “I antic­ipate it will be an event that will demon­strate the fun and ver­sa­tility of the trumpet.” Admission is free and tickets are not required for the per­for­mance.