9‑year-old Jace Lyon has been missing since 9 p.m. on Wednesday evening / Hillsdale County Sher­iff’s Office

A county-wide search is still underway for a 9‑year-old boy who went missing late Wednesday night, the Hillsdale County Sher­iff’s office said.

“At this point in time we do not suspect any foul play,” Hillsdale County Sheriff Tim Parker said in a video interview. “However, we just don’t have any clues as to where he is.”

Police said that they received a call from Tanya Lyon at 9:04 p.m, saying that she had just returned home from work and her son Jace Landon Lyon was missing from their res­i­dence at 1611 E. Moore Road, in Fayette Township.

Parker said in the video that Tanya Lyon received a call from Jace around 6:30 p.m. saying that he was home, and was going to make some dinner. Parker said that Tanya Lyon typ­i­cally calls her son every 30 minutes to check in, but he didn’t pick-up the phone when she attempted to call back several times.

Parker said that Jace Lyon has run away from home several times.

“He has been described as a very smart child, a very intel­ligent child, and very resourceful. And able to do things that a normal 9‑year-old couldn’t do on their own. He has run away from home in the past,” Parker said in the video. “She’s had some troubles with the child pre­vi­ously.”

Police said they searched the premises and nearby houses, imme­di­ately after Tanya Lyon’s call. After not being able to locate Jace Lyon, the Sher­iff’s office called in their mounted-horse division as well as a K‑9 unit from the Michigan State Police.

Hillsdale College security said they were also recruited to assist in the search. Late Wednesday evening they searched all throughout Hayden Park as well as all of the park’s facil­ities.

Officers called off the search at 5 a.m. and resumed earlier this morning. Hillsdale College security officer Jim Foyle said that as of noon on Thursday, Director of Security William Whorley and other officers were still searching, specif­i­cally around Half Moon Lake Road and Mauck Road.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is also cur­rently assisting with the search. DNR officer Joe Kellam teaches a wilderness sur­vival class on Hillsdale’s campus. But Senior Frank Bruno said the first scheduled class for the wilderness sur­vival course was can­celed because Kellam was assisting with the search.

In a press release, the Hillsdale County Sheriff’s Office described Jayce as a white male, approx­i­mately 4 feet and 2 inches and weighing 55 pounds. He has brown hair, blue eyes, and has a 1‑inch scar on the left side of his head. Jace was last seen wearing a bright blue winter coat with a neon-yellow reflective stripe, black jeans and blue tennis shoes.

Civilians who want to assist in the search or if anyone has any infor­mation regarding Jace Lyon’s where­abouts are advised to contact the Hillsdale County Sher­iff’s Office at 517 – 437-7317.

This is a devel­oping story. Check back for updates.

Previous articleHillsdale students break into national media
Next articleWinter Break in Photos
Thomas Novelly
Collegian Editor-in-Chief, Thomas Novelly was born in Novi, Michigan, but was raised in Franklin, Tennessee, making him a self-proclaimed "Yankee gone South." Thomas began writing for The Collegian as a sophomore, and since has served as a reporter, columnist, and Assistant City News Editor. He has also worked for two major publications, interning at the Washington Free Beacon in D.C. and The Tennessean in Nashville. His work has been seen in National publications such as CBS News, National Review Online, Stars And Stripes, and USA Today. Follow him on Twitter @TomNovelly.