Medals. Flickr.

Under the authority of Provost David Whalen, the rhetoric and public address department announced the topic of the Edward Everett Oratory Com­pe­tition this week. Par­tic­i­pants will respond to the prompt, “Is the Supreme Court the Final Arbiter of the Con­sti­tution?”

In the com­pe­tition, stu­dents write and perform a speech based on the topic in an attempt to win prizes of $3,000, $2,000, and $1,000 made pos­sible by an endowment from the Saul N. Silbert char­i­table trust. Under­graduate stu­dents will be able to apply online beginning Jan. 30.

Pro­fessor of Rhetoric and Public Address Kirstin Kiledal said a com­mittee of faculty decided upon the topic unan­i­mously.

“We believe that this topic is timely, avoids becoming limited to the current political moment, and that it affords the com­petitors numerous avenues for the devel­opment of their speeches,” she said.

Last year, Digital Content Manager Kokko Tso improved the online appli­cation process for the com­pe­tition, and he is working on the current one, Kiledal said. It will be acces­sible on the college website’s Rhetoric and Public Address page.

Sophomore Josh Hoover, who placed third in last year’s com­pe­tition, said he encouraged stu­dents to par­tic­ipate in the contest.

“I realized that not only had I pre­pared some­thing for a com­pe­tition but developed and solid­ified my own beliefs on the subject matter,” Hoover said.

The appli­cation deadline is Feb. 9.